CRM 2011 Outlook Client fails due to "newer version already exists" for prerequisites RRS feed

• Question

• ·         Business Goal: Deploy CRM 2011 outlook client

·         Repro Steps: Per the manual, we deployed all windows updates to users leading up to our deployment. We pre-install MS App Error Reporting, ReportViewer 2010, C++ 2010 redist (x64 and x86) and SQL Srv Compact 3.5 sp2 (x64 and x86). MS Online Services sign-in assistant is already installed by lync and fully updated via win updates.

·         Expected Results: Using SCCM, we deploy the prerequisites. Then we deploy CRM 2011 outlook client expecting a silent and successful installation.

·         Actual Results: Installation fails and never installs. Looking in the error log, we get an error "Product: Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant -- Newer version already installed". Running the installation manually also results in an error but the error log merely shows a generic 1603 fatal error.

·         Environment: Machines are windows 7, x64 with x86 outlook 2010. All Microsoft updates have been applied. Connecting to an onsite crm server (not crm online). We are using the client installer that was released on 1/20 and can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27821

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• I'm opening a call with Microsoft support to see about getting a custom built installer. Our rep informed us that the Sign-in assistant was updated and the update will be released in March. Not sure why they pushed it to windows updates before it was available to everyone else, but this seems to be the problem with at least some form of solution in sight.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:09 PM
  • I've opened a call but we aren't making much progress. Most of the support reps I've talked to are unaware of a product called "Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant". We just spent 4 hours walking through various things with the end result being the tech support guy proclaiming "we have determined that a windows update that was installed has broken your installation".

It was an interesting revelation given my synopsis of the problem that I submitted in my ticket: "We had a fully working deployment that we built in December for our production go live that is next week. After completing windows updates in January, the deployment tests all failed. Running the install manually also failed." :/
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:46 PM