Windows 8 UEFI Backup Successful (Post 2/2013 Hotfix), However Error Still Persistent RRS feed

• Question

• I had an issue with a Windows 8 machine built with UEFI secure boot backing up to my WHS 2011 server.  I applied the 2/2013 hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272) and backups are not completing fine.

The issue I have is that the original error message (This computer was not successfully backed up, dated 1/9/2013) and the warning message (This computer has not had a successful backup recently, dated 1/1/2013) are not clearing.

I attempted an ignore, which the immediately show up again.  I also attempted a delete, which they just reappear almost instantly also.

I've initiated a refresh, rebooted the server, etc to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clear these errors out?

Thanks,

Matt

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to install the Update Rollup 3 for Windows Home Server 2011 to see if you could backup the Windows 8 machine normally?

Update Rollup 3 for Windows Home Server 2011 is available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2705118

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Update rollup 3 was installed in August 2012 on this server.  UR3 was part of the automatic updates.  However, the UR3 did not allow UEFI partitions to be backed up.  The February 2013 patch fixed that.  The PC that is tied to this server was not able to be backed up until the Feb 2013 patch was installed.  Now it is successfully backing up, but the error is not clearing.

As you can see below, the patch was applied on March 29th, and two manual backup attempts and subsequent automatic backup attempts have been successful.

Below is the error message.  Clicking the 'refresh' or rebooting the server does not fix.

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I had an issue with a Windows 8 machine built with UEFI secure boot backing up to my WHS 2011 server.  I applied the 2/2013 hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272) and backups are not completing fine.

The issue I have is that the original error message (This computer was not successfully backed up, dated 1/9/2013) and the warning message (This computer has not had a successful backup recently, dated 1/1/2013) are not clearing.

I attempted an ignore, which the immediately show up again.  I also attempted a delete, which they just reappear almost instantly also.

I've initiated a refresh, rebooted the server, etc to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clear these errors out?

Thanks,

Matt

Please note - The first paragraph should read 'and backups are NOW completing fine.
    Monday, April 1, 2013 12:16 PM
  • I might try deleting the machine (archive the backups if necessary), then re-adding it to see if the problem can be cleared in this fashion.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:11 AM
  • That's about what I figured as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi Matt,

And did removing and re-adding the machine work? I have a similar issue with Essentials 2012.

Thanks,

Michiel

Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:48 AM
  • I just applied the update to WHS 2011 to allow the UEFI windows 8 client backup.  I have four other computers attached and backed up and now all of them report no recent backup, even though they have just backed up last night.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:55 PM