CRM 4 on SBS 2003 to CRM 2011 on Windows 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

Currently we have a 32bit sbs 2003 server which has CRM 4 on it. currently we have around 40 active directory users and 30 CRM users and about 60 devices on the network(one user logs into multiple PC's to cut down on the Cal usuage because we have a controlroom.

I am thinking that now would be the best time to migrate from our SBS to multiple 2008 server standard. looking at the CRM toplogies the five server toplogy does look like a viable solution but the question i have is would this be overkill for the size of our company.

If so what would people recommend server wise.

I am open to all options including VM or physical devices

In the next 3-5 years i would expect us to pass the 50 user mark so that is the reason why i think that migrating to the 2008 servers would be the best solution.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 supports Hyper-V VM installation, you can use two CRM servers topology with recommended hardware specifications as mentioned in the implementation guide including (Web Server and Database Server). I would suggest you to refer the implementation guide for hardware sizing and specifications planning.

You may also refer: http://mscrmtr.com/post/Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-Server-2011-System-Requirements-and-Required-Components.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg554767.aspx

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the information, what i am actually looking for though is people who have implemented CRM 2011 and so they can describe their setups and what performance was like.

Because I could end up spending too much hardware and spending too much on 5 servers or 2 servers running Hyper-V, when i could have got away with 3 servers. 1 running SQL and acting as the seond Domain controller, the next server running active directory, DNS and the last server running IIS, CRM and Exchange Server.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Oliver

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:21 AM
  • For 50 users or so I think you should have the following servers:

1. AD, DNS and File/Print
    2. Exchange
    3. SQL, IIS and CRM
    4. Optional second DC for resilience - especially if you have a second site.

It doesn't mater whether these are VMs or physical servers.  I would not make the SQL server a DC.

The spec of the servers will make a big difference to the performance your users notice.

But other factors may dictate a different approach. For example, if you have lots of other SQL Server database apps then you may need a second SQL Server.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:13 PM