none
Moving compute nodes to new head node in HPC 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to move nodes from one HPC 2016 cluster to another. The Move-HpcNode.ps1 script says the move is successful but the nodes do no show on the new headnode.

I get the following message in the provisioning log when I import the nodes on the new head node via xml so I know the issue has to do with the cerificates:

Could not contact node 'COMPUTENODE' to perform change. The X.509 certificate CN=HPC Pack 2016 Communication is not in the trusted people store. The X.509 certificate CN=HPC Pack 2016 Communication chain building failed. The certificate that was used has a trust chain that cannot be verified. Replace the certificate or change the certificateValidationMode. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.  [The X.509 certificate CN=HPC Pack 2016 Communication is not in the trusted people store. The X.509 certificate CN=HPC Pack 2016 Communication chain building failed. The certificate that was used has a trust chain that cannot be verified. Replace the certificate or change the certificateValidationMode. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.]

Now I know I could just reinstall HPC on the nodes and set up the new headnode's certificates. I'm moving only two nodes so it's not too much work. But if I had to move several more nodes this would be a problem.

Is there an easier way to do this?

• Edited by Mkregs Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:43 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Mkregs,

Suppose you are using different communication certificates for the clusters? If you use the same communication certificate, then moving the nodes could be easier. You may check this doc for how to update the communication certificate if possible. If you insist on the new certificate for the new cluster, then you may use remote tools like psexec.exe to facilitate the reinstallation command lines on the compute nodes.

Regards,

Yutong Sun

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:35 AM