Product key update help needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I was hoping I might be able to get some help/advice.

I am trying to convert my windows xp to a genuine edition and have bought a new product key, but I'm having problems with the update tool.

I get a 0x80004005 error message every time.

I read a few posts where it said it could be an anti-virus or firewall issue, but even when I deactivate those types of programmes I still have problems.

I read something also about proxy settings that could effect the update tool, but I don't know what that means or what a proxy setting is (I'm a bit computer illiterate). My internet connection does run through a router so it can service two computers within our home. Would this be a problem??? When I disconnect the line to the second computer it makes no difference. Is it a problem with me, with my ISP, or with Microsoft?

I'm sure this should be a much easier process than I'm experiencing (and that others have also experienced). Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:07 PM

Answers

• Roomy,

The post just below you by Nbstev was his report that changing DNS servers helped his situation.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Roomy,

Your may have to wait until the CD arrives in the mail and do a repair reinstallation or, preferably, a clean installation after backing up your data.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:42 PM

All replies

• Roomy,

When you try to use the key updater utility, you keep getting the 0x80004005 error.

That error is very typical of a situation where the Key Updater Utility is not enjoying full two-way communication with MS servers.  The Utility has the task of examining about 6,000 files and verifying their integrity, and if it finds correctable situations, it does make corrections by downloading new files from the MS servers.  Usually the error is caused by some kind of third party program on your computer, such as a personal firewall, antimalware, or antivirus program, that is intefering with the Utility.  Or, your internet connection could be utilizing a proxy server.  And finally, there may be some kind of issue with your ISP itself.

The error can be frustrating since it reports that there is no internet access, yet you can get email and surf web pages!  What it really means is that the specific MS program that is throwing the error cannot get full internet access.

Here are some general suggestions (the range of programs out there is way too big to give specifics):

1.  If you are using a personal firewall program, make a special rule that allows the executable file for the Utility to have full internet access.

2.  Some antivirus programs have rudimentary firewalls built in, and many have settings to block malicious scripts.  Your AV program may be seeing the utility as a "malicious script" and may have to be set to allow the updater utility to work.

3.  Some antimalware programs (SpySweeper, SpyBot, Ad Aware, Spyware Doctor, etc) have settings to block malicious scripts.  Your antimalware program may be seeing the utility as a "malicious script" and may have to be set to allow the updater utility to work.

4.  Check your Internet settings to see if a proxy server is enabled.  Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings, Proxy Server.  If you have proxy server settings, do not make any changes until you understand why they are set and how to put the settings back the way they were.  Disabling proxy settings may cripple internet access for your entire computer.

5.  Several posters have reported frustration until they tried changing their DNS settings, which are normally automatically supplied by your ISP.  If you have gotten this far with no fix, change your DNS settings as described at www.opendns.com.

6.  If you have had no success with anything above, and you still cannot get the Updater to work, may I suggest taking your computer to a friend's house to try their internet connection, assuming it is with a provider different from yours?  We have had at least one forum poster who could only get the Updater to work by doing it this way, as there was something his ISP was doing that prevented proper communication.

Please post back to let us know if you were successful.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Well it's not a problem with #1,2, or 3.

#4 I checked out and I don't use a proxy server

#5 I have no clue what that even is and I'm not about to do something like that to my computer when I don't understand it. The last thing I want is to end up with a broken computer and having to buy a new one.

#6 I am unable to do because I don't know anyone nearby with internet access and quite frankly I don't see why I should have to resort to such drastic measures.

Thankyou for trying to help, but in all honesty, I'm just not going to bother and will be asking for a refund. I mean, people who don't have genuine versions of Windows are people like me who don't know anything about computers, so the fix should be way easier than this. I'll just go back to my non-genuine copy and be more than happy. If Microsoft are really that bothered about the validity of people's software, they should have an easier fix that people can actually understand and implement.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Roomy,

The post just below you by Nbstev was his report that changing DNS servers helped his situation.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

I tried resetting my dns settings and it still didn't work even when I closed down every single anti-virus/firewall programme I have and did the same with the secondary computer on the network (even though this had been switched off at the power socket the whole time)

I really don't know what else is left to try as I am unable to switch to a different isp.

Could someone tell me how to contact micosoft for a refund? I haven't received a reply from the email I sent to their help center.

Thanks

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Roomy,

Your may have to wait until the CD arrives in the mail and do a repair reinstallation or, preferably, a clean installation after backing up your data.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Roomy,

So if I use the cd, I won't have to connect to the internet to validate it? I don't want to use the product key to install it and then still have the same problem and not be able to have a refund.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Roomy,

I can't speak for MS regarding the official refund policy on the WGA Kit.  Maybe you should contact MS customer service to get more info:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx

Waiting for the CD and then doing a clean installation after backing up and offloading your valuable data will ensure that there is nothing on your computer (say, malware, damaged or altered files, incorrect settings, misconfigured security programs, etc.) that is keeping the normal activation process from completing.  The normal activation process does use the internet to activate, but there is an alternate telephonic activation process that does not require an internet connection.

Validation is a totally separate process that does require internet connectivity.

A clean installation is the safest and best method to ensure that your installation of XP is not compromised from the "get-go" by the type of malicious programs that are often found in pirated installations.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:11 PM
  • hmm ok I'll look into the telephone activation method then.

I have actually contacted the email address for queries that came with my confirmation email (direct-mar@msdirectservices.com) I've emailed them twice but have still not had a reply from them other than an automated email saying my query will be responded to within 24 hours. Which obviously it wasn't because it's been 5 days and 3 days respectively. So maybe they're not such a helpful helpdesk afterall. I'll try your link instead though. Thanks.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:08 PM