Move backups from one install to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, For a couple of weeks I have run WHS on a virtual disk (virtualbox) perfectly. I made backups , restored a pc etc.. But then I decided to build my own WHS server so I bought the hardware, the software ( whs! ) and installed it all. Now is the question. Can I somehow transport the backups made in the virtual machine to the newly installed WHS box?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:01 PM

All replies

• Backups themselves are stored in D:\folders. You can transfer that folder to the new install and have your backups intact. You will also need to edit the registry to recognize the data.

Do you need to transfer any shares as well? If you need to transfer them, go to D:\shares and copy that folder to the new location. Because you did this, you can skip the section labeled in the following tutorial.

Here's a guide on transferring the backups. Since nothing is corrupted, you just need to substitute the word 'copy' for the word 'recover'.
    http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

Good luck transferring everything!
    • Proposed as answer by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:27 AM
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:50 AM Fixed HTML, forgot to use editor
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:20 AM
  • There are a couple of options. Microsoft describes a manual method in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. Or you can partially automate it by installing the Backup DataBase Backup add-in, which goes through the same steps behind the scenes. You can find it by searching in the development forum for BDBB.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:55 PM