Vista Problem Reports and Solutions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am unable to check for new solutions with Problem Reports and Solutions. Once i disable the onecare firewall it works, else there are reports of requiring an internet connection in order to send the reports.

I have allowed the program to access the internet however there must be another process which i cant see which dosen't have, or asks for, permission to access the internet. OneCare does not prompt me for any other components of Problem Reports and Solutions nor are any programs blocked.

I dont know if this issue is present in the production release.

Thanks,

Jake

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Problem Reports and solutions should be allowed automatically. Open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall>Advanced Settings and select 'Restore Defaults" and see if that resolves the issue.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply,

It seems once i disable the 'Always ask me whether to block or allow programs' it works, as you said, it is allowed automatically.

However as soon as i enable it once again, Problem Reports and Solutions can't connect.

Thanks,

Jake

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Jake, try removing Problem Reports and Solutions from the list of allowed programs, set the One Care firewall to "Always Ask", then try to launch Problem Reports and Solutions. If it fails to connect, close the application, then launch it again.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Nope that didnt work. It tried sending report 1, then goes onto report 2, then fails, however i would assume thats just trying another report before declaring lack of internet connectivity.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:25 AM
  • I can't reproduce your issue on my computer so I've run out of ideas. I suggest contacting support. One Care 2.0 support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-US Use the link in the lower right corner that says "Get more help" to start an e-mail support case.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Hey TheDarkestShadow,

I don't know this for sure off the top of my head, but it is possible that Problem Reports and Solutions requires use of an inbound port. If so, this would be disabled if your firewall was currently set in "Public place" mode, since when in public mode, inbound traffic is disabled. If you are trying this from a place you consider to be a home/work environment, you can check/set your firewall environment by performing either of the following:

Starting from the main OneCare UI, click "Change settings". From there, click on the "Configure Firewall" button, and check that "Home/Work" is displayed. If you wish to change all currently connected networks to "Home/Work" networks, click on "Public" to toggle the setting.

Alternatively, again starting from the main UI, click "Change settings". From there, click on "Advanced settings", then choose the "Network Connections" tab. From here, confirm that all currently connected networks are set to "Home/Work". If not, change the networks you trust as home/work networks to the "Home/Work" type, and disconnect from the public ones.

Once your firewall is in "Home/Work" mode, try using Problem Reports and Solutions again.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you're still having trouble, and thanks for trying out our product.

-John

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:40 AM
  •  

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I have tried as you said, however Problem Report and Solutions still doesn't work.

When i add to the firewall exceptions ports 1-65535, outbound, it works. I checked netstat during the update but i could only find HTTP and HTTPS connections. I then tried to add just port 80 and 443 to the firewall exceptions but then it dosent work again.

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:12 AM
  • As Jim already suggested, contacting support would be a good idea. Additionally, you may have encountered a bug - 

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:20 PM
  • I have all the exact same issues mentioned by TheDarkestShadow. Just wondering, if anyone's still monitoring this thread, but could this be limited to Vista Ultimate? or simply Vista x64? or both?? grr it's irritating me but these posts helped a little.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Based on re-reading the thread, bigboss12085, I recommend contacting support as this should not be happening.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:20 PM