Windows Home Server Storage Manager killing drive performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I found out that Windows Home Server Storage Manager (also known as: QSM.exe) is killing my drive performance. When this service is activated network transfers aren't getting over 20 Mbit/s. I also noticed that my overall system performance is worser then normal.
    When I de-activate this service, my system seems to respond normal and the transfer speed go back to normal.
    The downside of this is when i de-activate the Windows Home Server Storage Manager service I also have to shut down the Windows Home Server Computer Backup service. The Home Server won't make any backups then, so this is no option for me.

Further I noticed that in the beginning (few files on the disk) the performance wasn't poor with the service on.

I have a budget Dual Core AMD proccessor, 2GB RAM and 1 hard disk (1TB Western Digital SATA2).

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:04 AM

Answers

• Thats right, and this is part of the release notes, that you will have to uninstall the PP1 Beta first and to reboot, before the final version can be installed.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:50 PM

All replies

• Network performance says usually not much about drive performance, since in many cases the network is the bottleneck.

Did you install Power Pack 1 already? If not, you should try if this already is a cure for your issue, since there have been made improvements also performancewise.

Well and on the Windows Home Server is usually more valid than on almost any other Windows versions: Leave the services alone.

Olaf

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,
    I've installed Power Pack 1 when it was in a beta stage. I've tried to install the final release but this wouldn't continue. My guess is that I first have to uninstall the beta release. When I have the time i'm going to look into that.
    Normally I would leave the services alone. But the performace was so poor (it took almost 2 minutes to log in with remote desktop) that I went experimenting.
    Greetings from The Netherlands.
    Stefan.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Thats right, and this is part of the release notes, that you will have to uninstall the PP1 Beta first and to reboot, before the final version can be installed.

Olaf

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I've installed the final version of PowerPack but still no difference. Actually a setback. When I deactivate the services as normal my overall performance goes back to normal, but my network performace sticks at 10 Mbit/s.
    Any ideas?
    Monday, August 25, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Stefan, if you check the Networking tab of Task Manager on your server, it should show you the link speed for your server's network interface(s). What does it tell you? And what about your client computer(s)?
    Monday, August 25, 2008 9:25 PM
  • My Homeserver is connected with a gigabit swith of linksys. Server is connected with cat5e cable and is recognised as a 1 Gbps connection. I've solved the slow network transfers.. I've installed a tool called 'Teracopy' and it uses about 100 mbit/s (client is not gigabit). But when I activate Windows Home Server Storage Manager (QSM.exe), my disk performance becomes extremly poor.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 10:42 PM
  • In order to support WHS don't you need at least two hard drives?  I'm pretty sure the requirements are at least two drives.  With only one you don't have any redundancy.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:30 AM
  •  tbar wrote:
    In order to support WHS don't you need at least two hard drives?

No, it's not necessary.  As a matter of fact, the performance is better with only one drive.  Although, as you said, there is no redundancy with only one drive.

tbar wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the requirements are at least two drives.  With only one you don't have any redundancy.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Of course performance will be better without replication but isn't that the main purpose of WHS?  Without replication there is no overhead but that is one of the the main advantages of WHS.  Any type of RAID will impose a performance overhead but safety of data is always the most important feature.   Although hardware RAID would provide better performance but that wasn't the target user MS was addressing.  I have 3 drives (750GB and 2x1TB) and in normal retrieval situations (video or music playback) I see no other IO activity except for the playback.  I did notice before Power Pack 1 that reorganization greatly impacted performance.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:16 AM
  • Well, i've installed Power Pack 1, but I see no difference. When I leave the service on I get about 1MB/s network transfer speed and when turned off about 8/9 MB/s (maximum off the switch).. I am aware that the replication proces takes performance, but I think that this is to much. Messing with the services isn't recommended.. It seems that my Management Console woudn't start anymore.. Any ideas? Or perhaps I should reinstall my Home Server?
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Stefan, I think that a server reinstallation may be a good idea, but can you tell us more about how your server is configured first? Addins? Other software installed by logging in to the server directly? How many disks? How much data? Etc.

Also, it would be best if you created a new thread, rather than attaching your issue to this thread.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same Issue with Home Server.
    I made a fresh installation and everything was ok. After several hours (and also a Backup of my Desktop Client) the performance of my WHS decreased awfully. Logging on into system took much longer than before. And I only had a max speed of 7MB/s over network (gigabit) when copying files from my D partition. Copying files from my seperate E Disk in WHS gave me 60MB/s. That's quite perfekt. HD Tune measured a max disk reading speed of 5mb/s. Copying files from my desktop to WHS D partition gave me a max speed of 60MB/s. So the Problem is that reading from System Disk is very!! slow!
    So I tried to kill services in order to find out what causes the problem and I found out that it is the Storage Manager service. Killing it, gave me directly the max performance of my system disk.

Any ideas how to let Storage Manager live without that mess?

Thanks in advance

JM
    Friday, November 21, 2008 4:16 PM
  • While many things can cause this, as has been stated, this is a known and long term issue with drive pool transfers. If you google it, you can see reports across the many forums. Not acknowledging it as a problem is a bit disingenuous. The Australian forums did have some success with this issue :

http://http//www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-home-server-whs/29997-whs-network-transfer-performance-some-storage-pool-observations.html

Ben Ogilvie
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:14 PM
  • JeanMarc said:

Hello,

I have the same Issue with Home Server.
    I made a fresh installation and everything was ok. After several hours (and also a Backup of my Desktop Client) the performance of my WHS decreased awfully. Logging on into system took much longer than before. And I only had a max speed of 7MB/s over network (gigabit) when copying files from my D partition. Copying files from my seperate E Disk in WHS gave me 60MB/s. That's quite perfekt. HD Tune measured a max disk reading speed of 5mb/s. Copying files from my desktop to WHS D partition gave me a max speed of 60MB/s. So the Problem is that reading from System Disk is very!! slow!
    So I tried to kill services in order to find out what causes the problem and I found out that it is the Storage Manager service. Killing it, gave me directly the max performance of my system disk.

Any ideas how to let Storage Manager live without that mess?

Thanks in advance

JM

Have you updated your server with Power Pack 1?  PP1 improved the read/write times for a lot of users.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:25 PM