none
After an extensive use of WLW (2): Very vital suggestions

Question

• Suggestions:

1- I usually post images using WLW, and there is a GREAT need to make these upgrades to WLW:

A- The ability to set a default watermark. I post many images, and I want them all to be watermarked with my bog's address. It is really a pain to click every single image, add the watermark text, and change the font size to that I want. There should be a global setting, a default setting for watermarks,and it applies to every image unless I choose to configure certain images in a different way.

B- THe same applies for "Link to" feature, which links the images. I always add my images to WLW which nicely views their thumbs in the post, and links it to the image. The problem is that it links the thumb not to the original size of the image, but to the medium size :640 x 480. This sucks, since I have to go through every single image (of 20 for instance), and click "options" under "link to", then choose "original", then ok. It is even not possible to choose mutliple images to edit (hold ctrl and click the images I want to change their setting to the same values).
    So there should be a glolab setting that I set. I will choose to ALWAYS link the thumb to the original image with the original size, unless I choose something different for certain images.

As I said, it is very very important to have the ability to multi-choose images by ctrl+click for bulk editing.

2- I repeat what I said last year. The buttons for font setting have to be in the main interface of WLW. It sucks that I have to hit that ugly "A" button everytime I want to change the font size or color. It sicks even more that the window which displays the font settings, do not have a font size of 16 (I wish I know why), and that it never saves the last setting choosen. So if I am edint a post, and some text bits (titles) I want to color red, I have to highlight every one of them, click the A button, choose font size, click the color button, then choose color, then get back to the "font" window, and choose "bold" , and then click ok.
    All these must be placed in the main editor window, just like MS word, and an option of "copy style" must be available too, like in Word, so I dont need to suffer every time I try to stylize some parts of the text using the same color and font rtype/ weight.

3- You must also add the ability to add custom fields in the bottom toolbar which holds the title, categories, etc. I always add to my posts a custom field that is of an image that shows as the post's thumbnail in my theme. Everytime I post using WLW, I have to enter the dashboard and edit the post, then add that custom field I want.

4- The ability to attach a file with the post. I know there are plugins for that , but most of them are buggy.

5- The WLW addons/extensions gallery must be redesigned. It myst be clear to the user which version of the plugin is this, and to which WLW version it is dedicated, and up to which version it is compatible with. A screenshot of the plugin in action is also important.

6- The tables editor must be enhanced and upgraded to allow styling the background, the border's colors and border styles, including the option to make transparent borders.

QUESTIONS:

7- I downloaded the beta version (Technical preview) and when I tried to install it it said that my installed version is newer than the one I am installing. My current version is 14.0.8089.762, and I dont understand how does it say that my installed application is newer than that yet-to-be released beta version ?

8- Where is the forum for Windows Live Mail? I searched for it but didnt find one. I wanted to ask the following:
    I keep WLM running on both my home computer and my computer at work. If I am at work, and I recieve an email and I open it, it is marked as unread. However, when I get back home, and open the window of WLM (which was minimized, not shut down), it notifies me about New messages, which are the ones I opened at my work computer. So there is a synchronization break somewhere.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• 1a.
    While Windows Live Writer has this option, it's not refined, I’d agree, but it does work. You didn't specify if you were using Wordpress or not, so I'll go with you're; if so, you should think about using a plug-in to handle this on-the-fly- it's much easier and faster to manage.

1b.
    I agree with you, I think Windows Live Writer should have some default settings that might be able to help. Maybe in the next version; coming soon.

Some people don't think about the keyboard options, but using the mouse is actually slower than using the keyboard; having said that it's actually faster for me to use Alt-O and F ... If you've a program like HOTKEYZ you can map it to what ever you want... it's not a perfect solution, but works for me.

This might be theme specific; I don't have this issue with Wordpress and my theme, but greater compatibility should always be a concern.

I've been using a plug-in for a year now to attach and upload files with Windows Live Writer, so I think it does pretty well. I don't know which plug-in your using, but I suggest this one:
    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=3554b280-8ea4-453a-ada7-d567348aab97&bt=9&pl=8

I agree, the gallery is a mess.. it's not very search friendly. And the installation of plug-ins should be a lot easier in my opinion; good call.

I agree, the table application/function is sorely lacking abilities of what table(s) COULD do; good call.

Answers:
    Windows Live Writer is no longer in beta; you should running only the 2009 version. This might explain the error message your getting.

Reference Link(s):
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/LiveAnswers

https://support.live.com/

http://windowslivehelp.com/

Hope this helps. 

Thanks,
    L. Henry Jr.
    http://www.lehsys.com
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:55 AM

• QUESTIONS:

7- I downloaded the beta version (Technical preview) and when I tried to install it it said that my installed version is newer than the one I am installing. My current version is 14.0.8089.762, and I dont understand how does it say that my installed application is newer than that yet-to-be released beta version ?

Where did you download a beta version (Technical preview) from?  What version number does it have?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:26 AM
  • @ lehenryjr

0- Thank you for answering :)

1a- I am indeed using Wordpress, and I didnt know about a plugin that does bulk watermarking. Please tell me what name it has. And in any case, that doesnt cancel the need to have that possible through WLW.

1b- Thank you :)

2- If you want to use the Alt+O then Alt+F as alternative, you have to use both of your hands. So, your right hand must leave the mouse for a while (I have just tested it, even with the right Alt key :) ) and then get back to it when you are inside the "font" window to click the font color button, then the color you want from the new window. So the keyboard is not really a solution.

3- I think I wasnt clear. I meant to say, that, just like it is possible to add tags to the post through the bottom dashboard of WLW, that dhsaboard must also contain the option to add custom fields. Custom fields add information to the post (like the custom fields that are added to the post by plugins like WP-Post_Views, and WP-Post_Ratings), and they are No way theme related.

4- Thank you, I will test that one, and it is still important to make attaching files available in WLW without plugins.

5 + 6 : Thanx for support :)

7- Then it must be made clear in the Announcement that appear in the Beta forum, that this is an old post and that it is no longer relevang and does not apply. That is not clear at all.

8- Thank you, but I dont see a Windows Live Mail forum there either. I want to post my above question regarding WLM in the proper place. I found none !

Btw, are you a staff member ? How can we make sure that WLW developers see this topic and the improvements that WLW need to experience ?

Thank you for the time you took to reply :)
    • Edited by ICEQ Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:54 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:47 AM

• @AaronBre

From the announcement in the top of the WLW Beta forum, here :

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/writerbeta/threads
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:50 AM
  • ICEQ,
    You should check out NEXTGEN Gallery. It works very well- has lots of options.

I'm a 'keyboard' person, so this was the easiest solution and the fastest. As I mentioned, I mapped a MACRO to ONE key to handle the ALT and F keys; so I press one key and I get the options I need. I'm waiting to see what happens with the next version.

[smiling] No, I'm not a staffer; I'm just a guy trying to help others.
    I try to help people who have questions with Windows Live Writer.

The Staffers/Developers are sparse 'round these parts. I rarely see any posts, or replies, from them.

I've been using Windows Live Writer for a while and I've found shortcomings in the program, just as others, found ways to make things better [workarounds] and try to offer those to people as suggestions [possible solutions].

So, I'm here- Just trying to help...

Have a nice day!

-------------
    Later,
    LEHenryJr.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Okay, I know the nextgen, but I am using Shutter Reloaded, which servers my needs well in all thats related to image display in my blog. But what I really wanted is a WLW plugin that enables me to bulk-watermark images before uploading them.

You might have missed my point about the custom fields, which I re-explained in my latest reply to you above.

Also, I want to make sure the staff sees this. How can I ?

Last, regarding Windows Live Mail. I dont know where to post that question of mine, the forums that you referred me to are for Windows Live Hotmail, not the email client "Windows Live Mail"

Thank you, and a person as helpful as you, should be assigned a staff rank ..
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:00 PM
  • That was the Wave 3 beta.  You have the most current version with 14.0.8089.762. 

Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:54 PM
  • 1a & 1b) This functionality already exists in Writer :). Just insert an image, set whatever watermark you'd like and whatever source image size you'd like (and make any other changes to the image including margins, alignment, effects, etc.) and then go ahead and click "Save settings as default" at the bottom of the image sidebar. Now, whenever you insert a picture, the settings you've just chosen will be applied!

2) Thanks for the feedback. We'll take this into consideration.

3) Brandon Turner, a former developer on the Writer team created a plug-in to do exactly that! You can read about it here: http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!41603.entry. The download link is here: http://cid-2f7eb29b42641d59.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Windows%20Live%20Writer%20plug-ins/WordpressPlugin.dll. Just put the DLL under C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\Plugins.

4 & 5 & 6) Thanks for the feedback!

7) As AaronBre said, you already have the latest verison.

8) Not sure about this one. I'll have to get back to you.
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:22 PM
  • @wduff2,
    Why wasn't this plug-in entered in to the Windows Live Writer plug-in gallery?

Most people in here don't track the Windows Live BLOG; why wouldn't something like that make it to the Windows Live Writer plug-in gallery - the entry was from October 2009?

...Considering the benefit and how important it is/could be to so many users.

I appreciate it...

Later,
    Larry
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:07 PM
  • That was the Wave 3 beta.  You have the most current version with 14.0.8089.762. 

Yes, but they must make that clear in the beta forum.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:29 PM
  • 1a & 1b) This functionality already exists in Writer :). Just insert an image, set whatever watermark you'd like and whatever source image size you'd like (and make any other changes to the image including margins, alignment, effects, etc.) and then go ahead and click "Save settings as default" at the bottom of the image sidebar. Now, whenever you insert a picture, the settings you've just chosen will be applied!

2) Thanks for the feedback. We'll take this into consideration.

3) Brandon Turner, a former developer on the Writer team created a plug-in to do exactly that! You can read about it here: http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!2F7EB29B42641D59!41603.entry . The download link is here: http://cid-2f7eb29b42641d59.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Windows%20Live%20Writer%20plug-ins/WordpressPlugin.dll . Just put the DLL under C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\Plugins.

4 & 5 & 6) Thanks for the feedback!

7) As AaronBre said, you already have the latest verison.

8) Not sure about this one. I'll have to get back to you.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking interest in my comments. I will test the solutions you provided, and get back to this topic if there are any problems. I wish you indeed implement the enhancements I proposed, and let us know whenever they are made available.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Okay, another issue,

When trying to detect the blog's theme, WLW makes a temporary post. The problem, is that this temporary post automatically submitted to social profiles which are linked to my Wordpress, like Facebook. In facebook specifically, I can delete posts extracted from my blog, but other social services does not make it possible to delete these news.

In short, how can I disable that "temporary post" ?

As for Windlows Live Mail. I got other questions that I want to ask, in addition to the question I asked above. And there is still not Windows Live Mail forum and I really dont understand why.

Where can I ask them and get support fir WLM ?

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Reference Link(s):
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/LiveAnswers

https://support.live.com/

http://windowslivehelp.com/

Hope this helps. 
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Thank you. The first link is not handy since it refers me to the[se] forums, which have no Windows Live Mail sub forum.

The other option seems what I need, but I wonder why there is no sub forum for Live Mail just like there is for Live Writer.

Thank you .
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:07 PM
  • ICEQ, I would try disabling any plugins you have on your blog provider (I believe you use Wordpress) before making the temporary post. Also, make sure to disable any Writer plugins (such as Twiter Notify). Then, when you make a post it should not get automatically submitted to your social profiles. After you set up Writer with your theme, then you can re-enable these plugins.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Fair enough, thank you.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:18 PM