Backup Operations RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been shaking down Home Server compared to new Server 2008 to be a media storage server as well as a redundant backup system for vital files (financial, work-related, etc).

I have found the basic operations of 2008 to be faster than Home, however, it would take me days or weeks to get close to replicating the integration that Home Server has when it comes to management and backups.

But before I make me decision and go buy one of these boxes, please check me on how Backup works.

• Home can routinely backup files and entire OSs from the clients connected to it.
    • Shared files can be moved to Home where it will distribute the files across drives and duplicate files incase of drive failure.
    • In addition, an external hard drive can be connected to further protect the shared files stored on Home

What I can't find is the option to also backup the images of the clients.  They do not seem to be duplicated or backed up during a Server backup.

Am I supposed to ferry the external drive to all the clients to get their backups?

Thanks!  You guys have been a very active and knowledgeable group!

Btw, I installed PP1.  After the evaluation is over, how do I go to the full version.  I can buy the box today to get the ProdKey, but I wouldn't want to reinstall off that disk since it's pre-PP1.  Just a long-term thought.

Thanks again!

Brad

Sunday, July 6, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

•  BradPr US wrote:
    I have been shaking down Home Server compared to new Server 2008 to be a media storage server as well as a redundant backup system for vital files (financial, work-related, etc).

I have found the basic operations of 2008 to be faster than Home, however, it would take me days or weeks to get close to replicating the integration that Home Server has when it comes to management and backups.

But before I make me decision and go buy one of these boxes, please check me on how Backup works.

Home can routinely backup files and entire OSs from the clients connected to it.

As long as the client is any version of XP or Vista, correct.

BradPr US wrote:
    Shared files can be moved to Home where it will distribute the files across drives and duplicate files incase of drive failure.

As long as you have Folder Duplication active on a share, correct.

BradPr US wrote:
    In addition, an external hard drive can be connected to further protect the shared files stored on Home

Once you install Power Pack 1, yes.

BradPr US wrote:
    What I can't find is the option to also backup the images of the clients.  They do not seem to be duplicated or backed up during a Server backup.

That's correct. They are not.  Normally, there is no reason for it (because the backups are backed up by the client PCs themselves).  If your client fails, just restore from the backup.  If your backup database fails, just backup the client PC again.  However, if you want to backup the backup database yourself, you can do that manually.  The instructions are on page 23 of the Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore.

In addition, if you feel comfortable modifying the registry, there is a way to force WHS to backup the database across multiple drives.  This is completely unsupported, but if you want to try it, here is the link.

BradPr US wrote:
    Am I supposed to ferry the external drive to all the clients to get their backups?

Nope.

BradPr US wrote:
    Thanks!  You guys have been a very active and knowledgeable group!

Btw, I installed PP1.  After the evaluation is over, how do I go to the full version.

You need to perform a Server Reinstallation (it should be an option when you boot from the OEM DVD).  It will wipe the OS partition, but leave the data in tact.  Once it's done, all you have to do is re-create users and re-install any add-ins or other programs.

BradPr US wrote:
    I can buy the box today to get the ProdKey, but I wouldn't want to reinstall off that disk since it's pre-PP1.  Just a long-term thought.

Thanks again!

Brad

Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:00 PM