Can I run WHS v1 and WHS 2011 at the same time on the same network? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running the SmartServer now for a couple of years and was warned that I can not run two WHS v1 at the same time on the same network.  What about WHS v1 SmartServer and WHS 2011 as my new build on the same network at the same time?

Thanks again!!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:16 AM

Answers

• Yes, with the same caveat as for 2x V1 servers: you can have Remote Access enabled on only one server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:30 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM

All replies

• Yes, with the same caveat as for 2x V1 servers: you can have Remote Access enabled on only one server.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:30 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Thanks Ken, I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this.  Even if I have two separate <name>.homeserver.com addresses defined?  Is it an issue with both computers pinging homeserver.com or something?  Would that mean that the server is not identified with the <name>.homeserver.com address?  Just double checking on that specific part.

Thanks again,

Dan

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:47 PM
  • You can only forward the ports to a single machine. If you use UPnP, server 2 will override server 1 when it notices that ports aren't correctly forwarded, then server 1 will override server 2, etc.

In the enterprise, I would make this work by either having multiple external IP addresses, each of which goes to a single machine, or a single external IP address and a reverse proxy server which determines what web server to send a request to based on IP address, domain, etc. Or you could have both: multiple reverse proxy servers (and IP addresses), each dealing traffic to multiple web servers.

Friday, July 15, 2011 11:10 PM