Error when installing Office Communications Server 2007 standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• Office Communications Server 2007 Deployment Log
        Failure
    [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information.
    Install Standard Edition Server   Install SQL Express: Skipped
    Install MSXML Parser: Skipped
    Install Standard Edition Server Location: C:\Program Files\Office Communications Server 2007\Server
    Standard Edition Server Install Log: Skipped
      Success
    Install Web Components   Install Web Components Location: C:\Program Files\Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components
    Web Components Install Log: Skipped
      Success
    Install Web Conferencing Server   Install J#: Skipped
    Install Web Conferencing Server Location: C:\Program Files\Office Communications Server 2007\Web Conferencing
    Web Conferencing Server Install Log: Skipped
      Success
    Install Audio/Video Conferencing Server   Install Audio/Video Conferencing Server Location: C:\Program Files\Office Communications Server 2007\AV Conferencing
    Audio/Video Conferencing Server Install Log: Skipped
      Success
    Activate Standard Edition Server   Activate Standard Edition Server Log: LC Server[2007_05_16][07_26_14]_Activate.html

Failure
    [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

What can be found in the "LC_Server[2007_05_16][07_26_14]_Activate.html" file? Is there an error like "Create Pool AD Objects failed" with failure 0x80070005 (Access Denied)?

If yes, please check the prerequisites for server installation: Is the install user member of "DomainAdmins" and "RTCUniversalServerAdmins"?

If no, could you provide the information from the activate log?

Thanks

Bernd

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

What can be found in the "LC_Server[2007_05_16][07_26_14]_Activate.html" file? Is there an error like "Create Pool AD Objects failed" with failure 0x80070005 (Access Denied)?

If yes, please check the prerequisites for server installation: Is the install user member of "DomainAdmins" and "RTCUniversalServerAdmins"?

If no, could you provide the information from the activate log?

Thanks

Bernd

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Can you let us know the status of your issue? Were you able to follow Bernd's suggestions?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

I receive de same problem, but in activation log I have an other message : failure [0x80072141] The specified group type is invalid.

If you can help me to resolve this problem, i 'll appreciate.

I try to test OCS 2007 standard edition on two servers, the first one is DN and AD  server is ns1.server1.com

the second one is installed OCS 2007 standard edition -> ns2.ocs.server1.com

if you need others information contact me on pascallemba@hotmail.com

Pascal

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Hi Pascal,

I sent you a mail to the hotmail address yesterday. Did you get it?

Thanks

Bernd

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:30 PM
  • The problem is that this html file does not exist and therefore I cant find the real error
    Friday, June 1, 2007 6:41 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I just sent you a mail :-)

Bernd

Friday, June 1, 2007 7:14 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Were you able to come to a resolution working with Bernd? If so, can you post your solution on the forums for others to see? If not, can you let us know the status of your issue?
    Thanks.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:41 PM
  • I am also receiving the following error:

Failure [0x80072141] The specified group type is invalid.

According to the log, this occurs during the Create Local Group Memberships portion of the deployment.

I am installing the standard edition on a domain controller for a domain that is a tree in a forest. I have made the root domain administrator account a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group. I've also forced replication between the tree domain controller and the root domain controller. I am logged onto the tree domain controller as the root administrator. The forest and domain preparation phases completed successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Hi Robert and Bernd,

Have you been working offline? Were you able to come up with a fix and be able to share it with the rest?

Friday, July 6, 2007 10:02 PM
  • I'm having the same failure:

where Create Local Group Memberships is concerned as well.

My setup is I am tryig to install on a DC in domain in a tree in a forest. I did the same as James did and still have this error. Any ideas?

Otherwise, i'm going to install it on a test server in the Root DC.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:47 AM
  • I'm having the following problem when trying to install the RTM after remove Beta 3 version:

Product: Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007, Standard Edition Server -- Error 27557. Error 0xc3ec7d02 setting WMI instance MSFT_SIPApplicationSetting in namespace ROOT\CIMV2 during action AddOrUpdateWMIInstanceEx.

Can you help me ?

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:45 PM
  •  

Check to make sure that you have no spaces in your password for RTCComponentService and RTCService.  I had the same problem and I found that when the install program call lcscmd.exe it does not enclose the password in quotes.

HTH

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:18 PM
  •  

Thanks this helped alot. This is so short sided by MS. EVERYONE program your password fields to allow spaces. Get with it.

This is 2007 time to step it up alittle don't you think, maybe you should start writing this stuff down!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Hi Guys.

I have similar problem:

Failure [0x80072141] The specified group type is invalid.

Accordint to the Log, this occurs during the Create Local Group Memberships portion of the deployment.

Did anyone of you found a solution of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    VovKa
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:16 AM
  • Hi All,
    I am having the same problem with OCS R2 standard edition installation. If you know what to do next, would be very helpful. I have placed my problem in another forum http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/4bb7d816-1964-4c48-aa01-d53ba9a6e75e
    If anyone can tell me what steps I should take next to continue my installation.

-------------------

My problem
    I started OCS R2 installation but the installation failed with the following errors.
      1. Activate Standard Edition server Fail: Failure [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information
      2. Failure [0x80070421] The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Deployment Log

Time Logged: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:21:41 PM Expand All
    Collapse All

Action  Action Information  Execution Result 

Execute Action   Argument: /server
    Argument: /action:activate
    Argument: /unregspn
    Argument: /role:se
    Argument: /nostart
    Argument: /user:rtcservice
    Argument: /password:******
    Argument: /l:c:\docume~1\admini~1.nps\locals~1\temp\1\lc server[2009_06_12][18_21_41]_activate.html
       Failure
    [0x80070421] The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified. 

Activate   Global Settings Domain GC: Ready
    Local Computer Primary DNS Suffix: Ready
       Failure
    [0x80070421] The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified. 

Activate Standard Edition Server       Failure

Deactivate       Failure
    [0xC3EC7A3E] There are still conference directories associated with this pool when attempting to remove pool. Please move the conferences before removing the pool. 

I can find RTCService but RCTComponentService account is not present, which I was expecting. But I have TRCComponentUniversalServices in my AD

I run the installation with Domin Admin priviliges, so we can eliminate this possibility

During the installation, If i miss type password RTCComponentService, will it not create the account and subsicuently this problem occur. Is it a possibility?

What steps I can take now to resolve it and finish my installation?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Hi Experts,
    Any one has any advice for my case
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:20 AM
  • For everyone,

I have resolved my Standard Server Activation problem.
    How: please check this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/4bb7d816-1964-4c48-aa01-d53ba9a6e75e

Good luck everyone.

• Proposed as answer by mkhan100 Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:11 PM