Network not connecting RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have three computers that are hardwired together on a network and all running Live One Care. It appears that when I connect my cell phone to my computer using a cable and synching via Active Sync, the two other computers can no longer log on to the network. All three computers are using XP Pro. I don't know yet if connecting the phone via Bluetooth will result in the same problems.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• That's an odd one, but I can't see how OneCare plays into it.
    "Connected together" means what? Are they connected to each other or are they wired back to a router which provides Internet access? If the other PCs are already on the network do they retain Internet/network access when you plug in the phone and run ActiveSync?
    If you believe OneCare plays a part, try disabling the firewall in OneCare to see if that changes anything - I suspect not.
    I think you may want to go here:
    Activesync / Windows Mobile Device Center

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Once care has everything to do with it. I have installed and uninstalled One Care many times and before I install One Care, I have no network problems and after installing One Care - no network connectivity- 100% of the time.

"Connected Together" means a LAN. Yes, I have all computers hardwired back to a router that provides internet access (Netgear Prosafe 802.11g wireless VPN firewall #FVG318). We are not using the wireless function of the router for connectivity.  I need the hard drives of all three computers to be able to see one another for my business software to work. I have had no problems at all the last few years running any other AV software, but One Care (or Active Sync) screws everything up.

It's not the firewall. If I do not connect my phone to Activesync, the network connects. If I do connect the phone, it doesn't connect. It's as simple as that.

I have enabled all protocols for the firewall to help with this problem but nothing is working.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:06 PM
  • As I said in my original reply, it is an odd problem and one that I have never encountered before.
    Had you simply reported that your PC or PCs were unable to see each other or access the internet after OneCare was installed, I'd have immediately pointed to the firewall and suggested that it was a problem with File and printer Sharing, which can usually be resolved by enabling both options for File and printer Sharing in the advanced firewall options *or* turning off the OneCare firewall to see if the problem goes away.
    However, you report that the problem only manifests itself when you plug in the phone and ActiveSync launches. So, my other question remains - if you turn *off* the OneCare firewall, and then connect the phone, does the problem persist?
    It is possible that the ActiveSync connection is seen by the OneCare firewall as an active network connection, meaning that the PC now has two active adapters and this is causing OneCare's firewall to lock down to Public mode, which is the only thing it knows how to do in the presence of multiple network connections. This would cause file and printer sharing to get turned off on that PC, but it should not prevent the other PCs from accessing each other's files - just the PC that has the phone attached would be blocked from access.
    Open OneCare on the PC with the phone plugged in and check the advanced firewall settings under change settings - are multiple connections shown as active? Turn off the OneCare firewall on that PC, do the file and printer sharing features return?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:54 PM