Downgrade From Microsoft 7 Starter Edition to Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Samsung netbook which came with Windows 7 Start Edition and want to downgrade this to Windows XP.

I have a Windows XP disk to install this operating system but do not have a Windows 7 Starter Edition Disk (not sure if this is required?). 

My question is can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to downgrade my operating system?  I am not overly techy so please bear with me.

Thanks

Colin

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

• "ColinY8s" wrote in message news:50fe2800-dfd5-4a75-a9b8-6decc5db2a28...

Hi,

I have a Samsung netbook which came with Windows 7 Start Edition and want to downgrade this to Windows XP.

I have a Windows XP disk to install this operating system but do not have a Windows 7 Starter Edition Disk (not sure if this is required?).

My question is can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to downgrade my operating system?  I am not overly techy so please bear with me.

Thanks

Colin

You are in the wrong forum for such advice.
    You should first check that the manufacturer even has drivers for XP on your netbook (it’s a lot less likely than it used to be) – then post your query to the Answers forums.

Good Luck.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:53 PM

All replies

• "ColinY8s" wrote in message news:50fe2800-dfd5-4a75-a9b8-6decc5db2a28...

Hi,

Thanks

Colin

You are in the wrong forum for such advice.
    You should first check that the manufacturer even has drivers for XP on your netbook (it’s a lot less likely than it used to be) – then post your query to the Answers forums.

Good Luck.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:53 PM
  • If you mean downgrade as in having downgrade rights, Starter does not qualify. Only Windows 7 Professional and higher qualify. 

Unless Samsung is providing XP drivers for your netbook you won't be able to do it.  While you can install XP if you want, if there are no XP mainboard drivers that may render your computer unusable.  Another problem is that netbooks without optical drives rely on the network adaptor very heavily and if there are not drivers from Samsung for the network adaptor you will be out of a computer.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:09 PM
    Answerer