SQL Server on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

Is there any known problem installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows Home Server?
    Marco Minerva, marco.minerva@gmail.com
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:13 PM

Answers

• So, if I try to install SQL Server 2008 Express on Windows Home Server, I obtain some kind of error messages? Because in the past, with the RC of WHS, I managed to install SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition without any problem.

I didn't say you would get an error message.  I said installing it is unsupported (as is SQL Server 2005 or any other app that requires installation from the server desktop).  In theory, it should work.  But there will be very few users who would ever install any version of SQL Server on WHS (most WHS users won't even know what SQL is as the target audience for WHS are people with little to no computer knowledge at all).  However, if you installing SQL Server (especially Enterprise Edition) on your server, you probably have the wrong server OS to begin with.

Having said all of that, if you want to install SQL Server on your server, my suggestion would be to set up WHS in a VM first and extensively test it there.  If everything works (which I believe it will), then install it on your production server.  Just note that you are adding additional (and perhaps troublesome) steps to a Server Reinstallation (should it ever become necessary).
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi all!

Is there any known problem installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows Home Server?

Well, it's not supported. :)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:45 PM
  • So, if I try to install SQL Server 2008 Express on Windows Home Server, I obtain some kind of error messages? Because in the past, with the RC of WHS, I managed to install SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition without any problem.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:49 PM

I didn't say you would get an error message.  I said installing it is unsupported (as is SQL Server 2005 or any other app that requires installation from the server desktop).  In theory, it should work.  But there will be very few users who would ever install any version of SQL Server on WHS (most WHS users won't even know what SQL is as the target audience for WHS are people with little to no computer knowledge at all).  However, if you installing SQL Server (especially Enterprise Edition) on your server, you probably have the wrong server OS to begin with.

Having said all of that, if you want to install SQL Server on your server, my suggestion would be to set up WHS in a VM first and extensively test it there.  If everything works (which I believe it will), then install it on your production server.  Just note that you are adding additional (and perhaps troublesome) steps to a Server Reinstallation (should it ever become necessary).
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hello Marco,
    I have sql 2008 express installed on my whs machine. I was following instructions (don't remember where) on setting up a web site on a WHS machine. It worked just fine. So it may not be officially supported yet it will work.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:11 PM