Restoring WHS from a backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, quick question for the experts.  I've been running WHS v1 for about 6 months now and I've been making nightly backups of the system drive.   My storage pool drives are using drive-extender so I'm not backing those up.  (none of the data on my storage drives at this point is mission critical)  

Now, let's say that at some point in the future, my system drive dies.  I get a new system drive and restore the backup.  Fine.  But, what if my storage-pool drives contain files that didn't exist at the time of last night's backup?  Or conversely, maybe I deleted some files from the storage pool that DID exist at the time of last nights' backup.  My question is:  how will WHS react when it discovers missing files OR new files that it wasn't "aware of".  Does it care?  So in other words, after performing a restore of my system drive, it's possible that it's now out of sync with the contents of my storage pool drives. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• Restoring the system drive from a personal backup you're making isn't a supported method of restoring the system drive in case of failure.

If the system drive fails you are supposed to perform a server recovery using the server recovery disk that came with your server.  Not sure which server you have, but I know with the HP ones you are supposed to put the server into recovery mode, and perform a remote server recovery (because the HP devices are headless).  The recovery process is supposed to reinstall the OS, then the server is supposed to rebuild the tombstone database that links to all of the files on the storage pool drives.  I assume on a homebuilt WHS there is a server recovery disc that you probably insert directly into the WHS device and perform the recovery.

The process looks like this on an HP MSS

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/10014/How-To-Restore-the-HP-MediaSmart-Server/

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:32 PM