eSata question RRS feed

• Question

• I have ordered a 1TB eSata external hard drive which may also be accessed via USB.  I also ordered a 4-port eSata PCI-Express card, but it is back-ordered.  Should I set up the new external drive temporarily via USB until the sSata controler arrives?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:55 AM

Answers

• Unless you have a pressing need for the storage space, you should wait. Windows Home Server will normally not have a problem with moving a drive from one interface to another (it writes a "signature" to the drive which allows it to identify a storage pool drive wherever it's connected), but there's always the chance that you'll encounter that rare exception.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ron Lyster Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:26 AM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:18 AM

All replies

• Unless you have a pressing need for the storage space, you should wait. Windows Home Server will normally not have a problem with moving a drive from one interface to another (it writes a "signature" to the drive which allows it to identify a storage pool drive wherever it's connected), but there's always the chance that you'll encounter that rare exception.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ron Lyster Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:26 AM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I know this post has already been answered, but i'd like to add that I did this without issues a while back. 

I used a USB/e-SATA drive using USB at first, then switched to e-SATA.  No problems whatsoever.  It just picked it up immediately and even changed the drive type from external to internal (drive is just seen as SATA) without having to add/change anything.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:22 PM