Vail 2011 - Partition too large error during install RRS feed

• Question

• I had no problems installing Vail V1 & 2 on my 2TB boot drive before. However, with V3 (2011) I get the error message "specified partition size is too large to support a data partition". This worked fine before on a 2TB WD HD using an Intel mini-itx HD57DJ mobo.

Why is this happening now?

Thanks.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:25 AM

Answers

• Thanks for that. Have replaced disks with 250GB SATA drives and the install went fine. I wanted to stick the OS on a seperate pair of drives that I'm not using for data, but I'm guessing that even by sticking a second much larger physical volume on the system during the build wont get past the disk size issue.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:47 AM

All replies

• "kurtosis" wrote in message news:510e569a-5696-4a94-a7b8-3eb83526024e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I had no problems installing Vail V1 & 2 on my 2TB boot drive before. However, with V3 (2011) I get the error message >"specified partition size is too large to support a data partition". This worked fine before on a 2TB WD HD using an Intel >mini-itx HD57DJ mobo.

========

Hmmmmm, I set WHS 2011 up on a 1 TB drive, and it seems to have worked fine. I have the following 'Hard Drives':

(C:) Capacity 60 GB, Used space 11.7 GB, Free Space 48.3 GB
    (D:) Capacity 0.1 GB, Used Space 0 GB, Free Space 0.1 GB
    (E:) Capacity 871.4 GB, Used Space 105.1 GB, Free Space 766.3 GB
    (F:) 1st partition of a 320 GB Drive with my first installation (used space)
    (G:) 2nd partition of the 320 GB Drive (unused space)

I'm not sure what (D:) is, but as long as it presents no problems, I'll leave it be.

All of this was done automatically by WHS 2011.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret
    Please Don't Text and Drive
    My Grand Kids May be in Your Path

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Nancy,

"I'm not sure what (D:) is, but as long as it presents no problems, I'll leave it be."

I'll wager a beer that it's similar to the 100MB partition on Win7 with a clean install.

See

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

"kurtosis" wrote in message news:510e569a-5696-4a94-a7b8-3eb83526024e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I had no problems installing Vail V1 & 2 on my 2TB boot drive before. However, with V3 (2011) I get the error message >"specified partition size is too large to support a data partition". This worked fine before on a 2TB WD HD using an Intel >mini-itx HD57DJ mobo.

========

Hmmmmm, I set WHS 2011 up on a 1 TB drive, and it seems to have worked fine. I have the following 'Hard Drives':

(C:) Capacity 60 GB, Used space 11.7 GB, Free Space 48.3 GB
    (D:) Capacity 0.1 GB, Used Space 0 GB, Free Space 0.1 GB
    (E:) Capacity 871.4 GB, Used Space 105.1 GB, Free Space 766.3 GB
    (F:) 1st partition of a 320 GB Drive with my first installation (used space)
    (G:) 2nd partition of the 320 GB Drive (unused space)

I'm not sure what (D:) is, but as long as it presents no problems, I'll leave it be.

All of this was done automatically by WHS 2011.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:38 AM
  • >I'll wager a beer that it's similar to the 100MB partition on Win7 with a clean install.
    ===============
    Ain't no way I's takin' that wager, BullDawg, cuz I 'spect the same as you do. I just didn't want to speculate, since I tend to get 'hammered' for that. :) Not all that much space, though.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:09 AM
  • "Not all that much space, though."

Ten times more than my first hard drive.  I had a 10 MB on my Zenith Z-100.  All my co-workers were envious as theirs only came with a 5 MB.  Mine also came with a green screen instead of the amber one.   The Air Force ordered them all at the same time, never did figure out why the one they put on my desk was different!  Came with PeachText, PeachCalc and some flavor of dBase, DB II if I remember correctly.  Later I upgraded to dB III and then dB III+.  It was made by Ashton Tate, wonder what happened to them.  PeachTree is still around, mostly accounting software.

BTW, does StarFerret ever have a beer?

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

>I'll wager a beer that it's similar to the 100MB partition on Win7 with a clean install.
    ===============
    Ain't no way I's takin' that wager, BullDawg, cuz I 'spect the same as you do. I just didn't want to speculate, since I tend to get 'hammered' for that. :) Not all that much space, though.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:13 AM
  • I am getting the exact same problem with my attempt to install Vail, although I am trying to install on a Mirrored pair of 73GB drives. I suspect that this isn't a disk size issue.

Does anyone have any idea what this issue is and what the solution is?

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:48 PM
  • >I am getting the exact same problem with my attempt to install Vail, although I am trying to install on a Mirrored pair of 73GB drives. I suspect that this isn't a disk size issue.

Your 73GB mirrored drives are too small, you need 160GB.  Even RAID 0
    wouldn't add up to enough space with those drives.

It's very much a disk size issue, though there's a bug in the install
    that it errors out if the drive is WAY to small, vs just to small.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Thanks for that. Have replaced disks with 250GB SATA drives and the install went fine. I wanted to stick the OS on a seperate pair of drives that I'm not using for data, but I'm guessing that even by sticking a second much larger physical volume on the system during the build wont get past the disk size issue.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:47 AM
  • >but I'm guessing that even by sticking a second much larger physical volume on the system during the build wont get past the disk size issue.

Unfortunately true, that's the first case I tried, small OS drive,
    next big disk for data.  Same error.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:52 PM
  • I have WHS RC installed on a 2TB WD EARS (advanced format) drive as the system drive. It seems to be working fine. Only problems I've had are backup issues. Initial backup of WHS to an internal Hitachi 1TB was incomplete, but subsequent backups have been fine. Also, initial backup of a HP G62 laptop client failed, but again subsequent backups are fine. Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop and XPS 420 desktop backups have been flawless.

I did format the WD system disk initially in my XPS desktop running Win7 Pro 64-bit. I did not know it was and advanced format drive when I ordered it, and when I got it I did not want to fool with the advanced format issues with the current RTM version of WHS. When I decided to try WHS RC I installed the drive in my server, and the install of course reformatted the drive with 160MB volume for system and remainder as a second volume for storage. Maybe the initial format elsewhere makes a difference. And I did the install with that drive as the only connected drive, which may also have made a difference. I now have the internal Hitachi 1TB drive connected and configured as the WHS backup, and connect an external WD My Book 1TB drive occasionally with no problems.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:43 PM