none
Is it possible to restore a Hard Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find the WHS during a bare metal restore. I suspect it is because of network drives (It actually finds the network driver while searching the usb stick), but it still can't find the server. My question is, is there a way for me to grab my HD and plug it in to the WHS through USB and restore the computer that way?

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:24 AM

Answers

• If you have another PC, plug the disk you want to restore to into it and on that PC run ClientRestoreWizard.exe which is in "Program Files/Windows Home Server".

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Stawski Monday, August 22, 2011 2:11 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Fixed! The problem was I messed up with the original partitions and forrmatted the HD for a secondary drive. I followed the directions here (read 5/31/2011) to correctly partition the drive, restored again, and I was up and running in no time. Thanks for all your help. Note that I also created the Lenovo recovery partition by looking at the detail of the recovery.ini file

use diskpart to recreate the partitions S and C (do not erase Q). the partition specs such as size, type, label, letter, active, are found in file 'recovery.ini' hidden on Q (print it out or use another computer). example of diskpart usage:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

delete partition

select partition 2

delete partition

create partition primary size=1199

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM_DRV" quick

assign letter=s

create partition primary

select partition 2

format fs=ntfs label="Windows7_OS" quick

assign letter=c

exit

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• If you have another PC, plug the disk you want to restore to into it and on that PC run ClientRestoreWizard.exe which is in "Program Files/Windows Home Server".

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Stawski Monday, August 22, 2011 2:11 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:38 AM
  • During the Wizard, after selecting the backup the app crashes. In the event viewer i have 3 errors logged:

Unexpected error 0x1 from DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_UNLOCK_VOLUME): Incorrect function.

Process ClientRestoreWizard failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\client\restorehelper\ioctl.cpp(34).

Faulting application name: ClientRestoreWizard.exe, version: 6.0.3436.0, time stamp: 0x4d2b6812

Faulting module name: ClientRestoreWizard.exe, version: 6.0.3436.0, time stamp: 0x4d2b6812

Exception code: 0xc0000025

Fault offset: 0x0000000000080e9a

Faulting process id: 0x177c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc5e203c470ee0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

Report Id: 9b85de90-ca13-11e0-a6fa-002608bead60

I will try with another computer

Friday, August 19, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Try running chkdsk /r on the hard drive you're trying to restore. And why exactly are you trying to restore that computer? Did it experience an unexplained crash which it couldn't ercover from? Have you tried just replacing the ahrd drive with another of the same size or larger?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Ok, i've tried running the wizard from another computer and it worked, but now i thought i would just plug in the hard drive to the affected computer and it would work, but i guess a "No OS" (or something like that) while booting. Looking at the disk management of the computer using WHS Client Restore Wizard and it shows this:

How do I make my Disk 1 a bootable drive so i can boot from it?

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Try putting it back in the machine you want it to boot and then boot from your W7 installation disk and select "Repair installation" - that should set the partition as bootable and put back any missing boot files if any.

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:21 PM
  • When I do Repair Your Computer, I have 2 options:

1. Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows. Select an oprating system to repair.

2. Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier.

Option number 1 doesn't list any OSes, even though the drives are recognized.

Any other option?

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Hmm. When you restored the disk, did you do a full restore to a blank HDD? Presumably if you look at the restored disk on another computer the C: drive looks as though it has restored correctly?

Look at this FAQ and see if it helps:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/f88850e5-0f79-45dc-95a1-057a47ca28b3

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Fixed! The problem was I messed up with the original partitions and forrmatted the HD for a secondary drive. I followed the directions here (read 5/31/2011) to correctly partition the drive, restored again, and I was up and running in no time. Thanks for all your help. Note that I also created the Lenovo recovery partition by looking at the detail of the recovery.ini file

use diskpart to recreate the partitions S and C (do not erase Q). the partition specs such as size, type, label, letter, active, are found in file 'recovery.ini' hidden on Q (print it out or use another computer). example of diskpart usage:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

delete partition

select partition 2

delete partition

create partition primary size=1199

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM_DRV" quick

assign letter=s

create partition primary

select partition 2

format fs=ntfs label="Windows7_OS" quick

assign letter=c

exit

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:11 PM

Now that my problem is solved I want to give some feedback. This ClientRestoreWizard.exe is very powerful, I don't understand how it is never mentioned in the documentation of my WHS. Also, why isn't there a shortcut to it from the WHS Console? This is a very powerful tool that can save a lot of people with driver problems a lot of time. Most likely if you have a WHS is because you have more that 1 computer available!
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:14 PM