Windows One Care Live - can not configure my device due to "lack of permissions" RRS feed

• Question

• permissions on the Central Backup device has been set (Everyone) on backup device and one care live files/ folders but I still can not configure my device due to "lack of permissions"
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:26 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you already did this, but it is worth verifying:

1. In Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.
    2. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    3. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

On the PC that you are trying to do this from, which I believe is a Hub and running Vista, are you logged on as an Administrator?

Are you sharing out the drive or are you trying to share the OneCare backup folder that already existed? If the backup was originally configured by simply pointing to the drive, then you'll want to set the permissions for the drive, not the backup folder as OneCare has already backed up to that location and protected the structure of the backup folders. You may need to drill into the backup folder and set permissions on each subfolder and contents into the entire folder structure. However, I would think that simply pointing OneCare to the drive (assuming that the drive letter is the same as it was before and your PC has the same name that it had before) should allow it to expose the backup for restore purposes.

The part that I'm not sure about - since the Hub has been reinstalled, I don't know that the Backup plan can be modified to accommodate changes to the backup location, drive letter, or PC name for the Share location. In that case, you will ultimately need to reset the backup plan and start fresh for all PCs in the Circle.

It may be more expeditious for you to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:14 PM
  • I have resolved the problem by getting advance permission "everyone- allow" on each individual user account backup.

Thanks

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:39 AM

All replies

• How is your Centralized Backup device connected/configured? And what is it - network attached storage, internal drive on a PC, external drive connected to the Hub PC?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:38 PM
  •  

Network is a external USB Hard Drive connected to my PC which is the hub PC. I recently had to reformat and reinstall Windows Vista and I am trying to restore files from my backup. I also went to Advanced sharing/ permissions/ Everyone on the back up drive.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:08 AM
  • It sounds like you already did this, but it is worth verifying:

1. In Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.
    2. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    3. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

On the PC that you are trying to do this from, which I believe is a Hub and running Vista, are you logged on as an Administrator?

Are you sharing out the drive or are you trying to share the OneCare backup folder that already existed? If the backup was originally configured by simply pointing to the drive, then you'll want to set the permissions for the drive, not the backup folder as OneCare has already backed up to that location and protected the structure of the backup folders. You may need to drill into the backup folder and set permissions on each subfolder and contents into the entire folder structure. However, I would think that simply pointing OneCare to the drive (assuming that the drive letter is the same as it was before and your PC has the same name that it had before) should allow it to expose the backup for restore purposes.

The part that I'm not sure about - since the Hub has been reinstalled, I don't know that the Backup plan can be modified to accommodate changes to the backup location, drive letter, or PC name for the Share location. In that case, you will ultimately need to reset the backup plan and start fresh for all PCs in the Circle.

It may be more expeditious for you to contact support.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:14 PM
  • I went to explorer .exe and "run as Administrator". I've also set permisions to 'allow everyone"  for the drive and folder. What I needto do is restore files from that drive.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:50 AM
  • I have resolved the problem by getting advance permission "everyone- allow" on each individual user account backup.

Thanks

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:39 AM