off topic - hard drive memory dissapears.... RRS feed

• General discussion

•  my hard drive eats my giga bytes...without me downloading anything
    how can it be??i talk sometime f a few giga a day...
    i tried to make a ceck for the harddrive and bios by clicking f10 on start up but i can enter as im prompt for a password which i dont have and never made
    can i bypass this password??what else can i do??
    thaks alot
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hello juliii44, if you are using Vista it is normal for some hard drive space to be used without you adding any files. Vista will make shadow copies of new or changed files and system restore will create a new restore point daily or even more frequently if you add programs or updates. You can reclaim much of this disc space by running disc cleanup>more options>delete all but the most recent restore point. This article explains how to limit the disc space allocated by Vista to systm restore and VSS - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/26/how-to-change-and-limit-system-restore-storage-space-usage-size-in-vista-with-vssadmin/
    Jim
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:18 PM
  • thanks alot jim

ill clean up the restore points and see if it will help!!!
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:19 AM
  • i just did it but it released only 4gb...
    how can i delete all my shadow files ,ive been downloading and deleting few programs that i wouldnt like to keep ...
    ive tried as well going t command and enabaling only few GB but it didnt worked out the way it was writen in the internet...
    in any case you gave me great direction and i apriciate it!!!
    thanks alot
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:52 AM