Network adaptor driver problem on WHS new install RRS feed

• Question

• I rebuilt my main PC with a new motherboard and AMD quad processor. This left a surplus MSI PM8PM-V motherboard with Intel dual core processor, 2Gb of DDR2 RAM, etc.  That seemed a more than adequate config for WHS so I've put it in a new enclosure with a 1.5Tb Seagate SATA HDD.  Just to be sure of the rebuild I also have it booting off a SATA external drive with Vista Ultimate installed.

The Vista build works perfectly, including Internet connectivity, so I detached that HDD and proceeded to a WHS install.  That seemed to proceed flawlessy too.  There was no warning message about network drivers, but when I tried the connector software on another PC it couldn't find the WHS.  Looking in Device Manager back on the WHS I found a warning alert by the network adaptor and, drilling down, I get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." 

The MSI motherboard spec states that the LAN is Realtek 8201CL but the Device Manager states (for both Vista and WHS builds) that it's a "VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adaptor."  I've tried uninstall/re-install and forcing a driver update using the XP/WS2003 drivers from both MSI and Realtek.  Everytime it just tells me that the current driver is the only valid one and re-installs with the problem.

I couldn't see this specific problem from a quick scan of the forum but I imagine it's a common one.  Any help is appreciated.

Chriswor
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found my own solution thanks.  The ATI drivers from http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/d200557-via_rhine_ii_compatible_fast_ethernet_adapter and associated install program worked perfectly.  Remote PCs can now see the WHS when I run teh connector software.

Chriswor
    • Marked as answer by chriswor Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:37 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hi,
    did you try the 32 Bit XP drivers from the MSI website (including the chipset drivers)?
    Maybe you will have to right click the downloaded files first, select properties and click Allow.
    Also it may be possible, that you have to try the compatibility mode by clicking the Compatibility tab and select Windows XP before running the setup program.
    If this should not work, the best choice still may be to buy a cheap PCI network adapter with Windows Server 2003 drivers and use that.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,

As I reported, I found an ATI driver that seems to work well.  I'll use your more comprehensive response (including chipset) if I encounter any more difficulty.  Otherwise, I'll leave well enough alone...

Regards
    Chriswor
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:47 PM