Problems with dialing outside the company for several users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a strange problem in my OCS environment - all the users in my company are allowed to dial outside the company through our PBX which is connected to our mediation server and they are using their Communicator Client.

We have one telephony policy and all users are enable to dial.

for some reason, I have several users who can't dial, and whenever they try do dial they get EVENT ID: 404 error in their communicator client.

I've compared all the setting for a user who can dial and a user who can't and there isn't any difference between them.
    I even try to disable sip for this user and then enabling it again including enable the telephony policy for him and nothing helped.
    And when i'm creating a new user and enable the policy for him it is working.

I though it is a problem with the client computer or communicator, but even if I log on to his computer with another user, the other user can dial and that user can't.

the only thing that appear to notify the problem is an event on the client computer (Event ID 11):
    A SIP request made by Communicator failed in an unexpected manner (status code 80ef0194). More information is contained in the following technical data:

404  Not Found
    Ms-diagnostics:  10000;source="ocs.domain.com";reason="Gateway returned a SIP failure code";component="MediationServer";SipResponseCode="404";SipResponseText="Not Found";GatewayFqdn="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

there aren't any events on the Mediation server or on the OCS server, and best practice analyzer show no errors as well.

I'm waiting for our PBX guy to check whether he sees in the logs an attempt to perform a call from that user and hopefully I'll have it today, but I'm still don't know where else I can search for this problem or it's source (User, OCS, PBX).

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
    Ploni.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the more efficient way to solve this is to activate log on Communicator options, in general tab, and analyze the log file with the snooper tool which comes with OCS 2007 Reskit.
    Try to make two log file: one with a user who can dial correctly, and the one who has the problem, easier to compare two files to see what you should have and where it diverts.

Most of the time, when you get a "gateway returned a SIP failure code" and 404 not found it means a routing rule is missing in the gateway to reach the destination. what is the destination number ? pbx phone, external number,... when it's working for another user, is it exactly the same called nb ?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Hello,

This kind of errors ("Gateway returned a SIP failure code") will happen if your gateway configaration is not good. Call is reaching to your gateway from mediation server but your gateway is not accepting the call. Please enable the logging at the gateway end and contact your gateway vendor.

"Gateway returned a SIP failure code"

Reagrds

Jitreddy.

Jithendranath Reddy http://www.ocspedia.com
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:08 AM