Duplicate Detection - Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• When enabling duplicated detection, how do you ensure that when new contacts 
    are added that the duplication rule works?

I have created a rule to look for duplicates that have an exact match on 
    email address. However, I wan't to exclude contacts that have a status set to 
    "Ianactive".

However, if i inlcude a clause for Status with an exact match, any new 
    contacts added with the same email address are not detected as new contacts 
    have a status of "New" when first created. Is there any way around this?
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:48 PM

Answers

• On the new contact form it says Status: New, but this is only because the form has not yet been saved to the database. As soon as the record is saved, the status will be Active. The duplicate detection rule should work within about 15 minutes of the duplicate detection rule being published.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:57 PM

All replies

• On the new contact form it says Status: New, but this is only because the form has not yet been saved to the database. As soon as the record is saved, the status will be Active. The duplicate detection rule should work within about 15 minutes of the duplicate detection rule being published.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:57 PM
  • But, does this answer hemantpasa's question? If i have set the duplicate detection rules to exactly match email adres and status of a record, does CRM sees the new record as a duplicate when the emailadres match? Or should one not include the status, because on the time of saving the record to the database the status is not the same? Because the rules are set in an AND statement, the records are not seen as duplicate (only one of two rules are true)

I'm confused here. I cant seem to detect duplicates where inactive records are exluded...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:53 AM
  • J. Snoek, I've tested the scenarios you mentioned and confirmed your findings:

• If my duplicate detection rule is 'E-mail Address 1 is Exact Match AND Status is Exact Match', the rule fails to fire when I enter a new contact record that has the same e-mail address as an existing contact. Presumably, this is because the rule fires as a pre-save pipeline event and the status of the new record is considered to be 'New' and not 'Active'.
    • If my duplicate detection rule is just 'E-mail Address 1 is Exact Match', the rule fires when I enter a new contact record that has the same e-mail address as an existing contact regardless of whether the existing contact is active or inactive. Presumably, this is by design because you would not usually want a new contact record being created when a previous copy of this contact's record had been deactivated.

It seems like the best way to detect duplicates where inactive records are excluded is not to fire the duplicate detection rule when new contacts are created. Instead use the duplicate detection rule to run a duplicate detection job. During the configuration of the duplicate detection job, include filters to run the rule only on contacts where the e-mail address contains data and the status equals active.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:47 PM