Hardware Upgrade Or New PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC which was originally shipped with Windows98 in late 1999 / early 2000.

When support was dropped for Windows98 last year I brought (with additional  hardware) and installed WindowsXP Home Edition OEM software (0304 Part No. X10-52148).

It has become increasingly apparent that the current configuration of my PC is not able to adequately cope with the demands of running WindowsXP. I am therefore faced with either a complete overhaul of my PC's components (motherboard, memory, hard drive etc) or the purchase of a new PC.

Am I able to continue using my current WindowsXP licence if I

(a) completely overhaul my existing PC or

(b) purchase a new PC?

Thank you.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Stefflgb,

If I understand you correctly, you bought Win XP OEM separately from your computer. In that instance, you should be able move the Windows XP over to the new computer as long as it has been removed from the old computer.

Carey is correct that it would be cost effective to buy a new computer with Vista (or XP, if you can find one) pre-installed. 

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• Your OEM Windows XP license is non-transferrable to a different computer.  It would be more economical to consider purchasing a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 2:27 PM
  • Hi Stefflgb,

If I understand you correctly, you bought Win XP OEM separately from your computer. In that instance, you should be able move the Windows XP over to the new computer as long as it has been removed from the old computer.

Carey is correct that it would be cost effective to buy a new computer with Vista (or XP, if you can find one) pre-installed. 

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:37 PM