none
Failure to save as docx RRS feed

• Question

• An MS Word file originally in .docx format (2010) passed through several hands and came back via Outlook attachment with the extension .doc (presumably 1997-2003). I myself run Word 2010 (version 14.0.6123.5001 (32 bit). Using "Save," the file failed to convert to 2010 format, as would be normal, and saved automatically with the .doc extension. Attempting to save it in 2010 format with "Save As" and selecting Word document from the dropdown failed, because the "save as type" dropdown reverted to "Word 1997-2003." Trying to force the issue by manually changing the extension resulted in a file with fil size of 0 bits. Has anyone encountered this problem and successfully dealt with it?
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• Have you tried opening it in WordPad (not Word)?  Maybe you could try saving it as any other format first? Maybe you could save it as an .RTF? Maybe you could try opening it in Google Docs. I suspect that is how someone converted it to a .DOC in the first place.

Try converting it to any other format successfully and try a variety of tools besides Word. Then, hopefully, you can convert it eventually back to DOCX.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies