Laptop doesn't recognize WHS by it's Computer Name RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows home server PC, a samsung R580 laptop, and a dell desktop pc.  The laptop and dell desktopd both have windows 7.  When I'm on my desktop I can type in the server name to connect to the home server (i.e. \\WHS) and it works fine.  The server also shows up under network in windows explorer.

Now, when I switch to my laptop, this no longer works.  If I type in \\WHS in the address bar in explorer, the computer cannot find that computer.  I have to type in the ip (i.e. \\192.168.1.101).  Also, the windows home server does not show up under network.  I installed the windows home server console on the laptop and the link to shared folders doesn't work either.

These computers are all on the same homegroup, on the same LAN.  I'm out of ideas and extremely frustrated with this, as it prevents me from adding the network locations to my libraries on my laptop.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have a windows home server PC, a samsung R580 laptop, and a dell desktop pc.  The laptop and dell desktopd both have windows 7.  When I'm on my desktop I can type in the server name to connect to the home server (i.e. \\WHS) and it works fine.  The server also shows up under network in windows explorer.

Now, when I switch to my laptop, this no longer works.  If I type in \\WHS in the address bar in explorer, the computer cannot find that computer.  I have to type in the ip (i.e. \\192.168.1.101).  Also, the windows home server does not show up under network.  I installed the windows home server console on the laptop and the link to shared folders doesn't work either.

These computers are all on the same homegroup, on the same LAN.  I'm out of ideas and extremely frustrated with this, as it prevents me from adding the network locations to my libraries on my laptop.

Can you successfully ping your server from your laptop, both by name and by IP address?  Can you run ipconfig /all on your desktop, your laptop, and your server, then post the results here?
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:49 AM
  • How is your laptop connected to your network? Through a wired connection, or wirelessly?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:42 PM
  • The laptop is connected wirelessly.  My desktop and windows home server are connected through a wired connection.  But when my buddy brings over his laptop (macbook pro) it is connected wirelessly and is able to hit my webserver using (\\kr-whs) instead of (\\192.168.10.106)
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:36 PM
  • I can ping my server using the ip address, but not the computer name.

C:\Users\krupert>ping 192.168.10.106

Pinging 192.168.10.106 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.10.106: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.10.106: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.10.106: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.10.106: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.106:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Users\krupert>ping kr-whs

Ping request could not find host kr-whs. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\krupert>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : krupert-laptop

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : wowway.com

• Edited by krupert Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:17 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:39 PM
  • What about your desktop and your server?

But I can tell you that the node type on your laptop is probably causing your issue. Search the Microsoft Support site for more information on how to change the node type on your client.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by krupert Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:15 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I had the same problem and also fixed it with these instructions.  

Re: change node type
    Create a file in notepad named NODETYPE.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : NODETYPE.REG
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be NODETYPE.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
    "NodeType"=-
    "DhcpNodeType"=-
    ------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:10 PM