Virus attack on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• One of the family laptops was hit with a virus which is proving very difficult to clear out. Fortunately we have WHS backing up the OS...right?

What was distressing is that the virus went into WHS and deleted ALL of the OS backups for that machine. It did not seem to disturb the media files, or the backups to other machines. The back-up folders on the infected machine is there, but they are empty.

Is there a way to get those files back? And if so, how do I know I have any integrety in WHS going forward? Is the virus still in the box and can the virus easily attack again and do the same thing?

Much Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:16 PM

All replies

• I'll be flat out honest and say that I've never seen a virus be that
    smart to delete out backups of a workstation on home server.

Are you positive this isn't human error on someone's part?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:35 PM
  • I wish that it were.  I'm the only one in the family who knows anything about it, or has a password. The backups are not a part of shared folders. The backup folders for the infected computer were there, but they had been emptied out. No other folders were effected. So if you have thoughts on next steps I would greatly appreciate it.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:19 AM
  • I'm still a doubting Thomas. Viruses aren't that smart, nor targeted. See if http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-products.htm getdataback will get these backups back.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:24 AM