Setting NTFS Permissions on WHS Shares RRS feed

• Question

• The WHS console only allows and admin to control Share permissions at the root level.  I would like to be more specific with regards to which WHS users have access to specific files and folders within the WHS shares that I have created.  Will I break WHS home server if I Remote Desktop into the Home Server console and adjust the NTFS permissions for folders and files within my WHS Shares?  Is there a WHS addin that will allow and administer to adjust NTFS file / folder permissions?  Would it be safer to create a share on a drive that is not part of the storage pool, if I need to adjust the NTFS file and folder permission ACLS?    
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• If you want to set permissions yourself, do so in shares not controlled by Windows Home Server, i.e. shares not listed in the console, and not under the D:\Shares folder. Best would be to put them on a separate drive. You should not break your server if you do this.

If you attempt to change permissions within D:\Shares, you may cause serious problems...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ray Bauer Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:49 PM

All replies

• If you want to set permissions yourself, do so in shares not controlled by Windows Home Server, i.e. shares not listed in the console, and not under the D:\Shares folder. Best would be to put them on a separate drive. You should not break your server if you do this.

If you attempt to change permissions within D:\Shares, you may cause serious problems...

• Marked as answer by Ray Bauer Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Thx Ken

The only down side appears to be that I won't be able to use the WHS console to backup a share that is located on a drive outside of the storage pool.  Is the Microsoft Synch Toy installed on WHS, the best choice for backing up shares located on drives outside of the storage pool, or is there something more WHS friendly that Ken or someone else can suggest for local backups?  Thx
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:53 PM
  • I use robocopy to back up my server, but any tool you prefer will probably do for backing up those shares.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Ken,

I'm new to WHS and I'm looking for advice on how to backup the Shared folders to another computer on my home network.  I do Not want to use an attached external drive to the server or an online service.  I would prefer to have the backup be on a separate computer in a separate location.  What are your thoughts on RoboCopy, RichCopy, or any other programs or add-in to backup the Shared folders?  I am aware of WHS BDBB for backing up the client backups but it does not seem to backup the server's shared folders.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Look up ↑ "I use robocopy..."

Don't take that as a recommendation, though. You should find a solution that works for you; if you hate command line tools you'll hate robocopy, for example. :)
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Yes, I'm trying to avoid using RoboCopy command line structure and was wondering if you had any experience or thoughts on either RichCopy or CrashPlan which was mentioned in one of the other forums?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:01 PM