Large Transfers Fail...Why? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a couple issues with a fairly new install of WHS.  I think they all might be related to this 1 problem, so I will start here.

Setup:
    I built the server out of a GA-P35c-DS3R motherboard and various other components that I can detail further if necessary.  The other computer on the network is my Thinkpad T60 with Windows 7 x64.  The server is connected directly to a Linksys WRT150N router.  The laptop is connected via wifi.  I also have a WDTV Live connected via ethernet to the router.

Problem : When transferring large files (4gb+ movies) from the laptop to the server it starts out slow (about 1mb/s) and then fails after a few minutes.  The error message reads "Network Error...There is a problem accessing \\server\videos...Make sure you are connected to the network and try again."  Smaller files transfer successfully, but larger files always fail. 

The WDTV has no trouble playing large movies from the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:49 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a network driver or settings issue. Sometimes it helps to set correct values for MaxMTU on all systems. If this doesn't help you may need to experiment with other network drivers or network (adapter) settings. First thing to do would be to find out which system is causing the issues. To rule out your homeserver and router try a large file transfer from another client which has a wired connection. If that works try a wire connection for the Thinkpad. If that also works it's an issue with either the network adapter driver or settings on your client, or the (wireless) network settings on your router.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:18 AM