firewall blocking VPN connection RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to connect to my work VPN since installing OneCare. I adjusted the firewall settings, I tried turning off the firewall. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the VPN software. Only when I uninstalled OneCare did it work again. I get the error message "The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You cannot connect to the remote VPN server." How can I fix this?

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:50 AM

Answers

• Since you didn't identify the VPN software you are using, I can only tell you that I suspect that you are using one of the products that will not work with OneCare due to the way the VPN software installs itself and manages the network stack and the way OneCare's firewall works with the network stack.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:59 PM

All replies

• Since you didn't identify the VPN software you are using, I can only tell you that I suspect that you are using one of the products that will not work with OneCare due to the way the VPN software installs itself and manages the network stack and the way OneCare's firewall works with the network stack.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I believe it is Fiberlink. So if that's the case it won't even work if I turn off the Firewall? and I can't have OneCare on the computer at all?

Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:54 AM
  • I'm not familiar with Fiberlink. Can you get the specific name and version of these VPN software?

You can try it, but some VPN software won't work at all with OneCare installed. If your VPN software is one of these, you would need to choose between OneCare or the VPN software.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Stephen,

I have the same issuce with my Cisco VPN.  Without Live Care - works no problem.  With Live Care running get error message stating:Warning 201:  The neccesary VPN Subsystem is not available. You cannot connect to the VPN server.

If you have any suggestions that would be helpful.  THanks in advance.

G

Monday, September 1, 2008 9:53 PM
  • need to have the firewall unblocked for my printer to function through network.  It is through a ethernet connection to my wired router that sends a wireless signal. can you help me

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:04 AM
  •  GooseGosetch wrote:

Stephen,

I have the same issuce with my Cisco VPN.  Without Live Care - works no problem.  With Live Care running get error message stating:Warning 201:  The neccesary VPN Subsystem is not available. You cannot connect to the VPN server.

If you have any suggestions that would be helpful.  THanks in advance.

G

Unfortunately, I can't provide any help on this other than to tell you that it appears that the Cisco VPN is not compatible with OneCare based on the fact that we've got many unresolved threads mentioning this product:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/Search/Search.aspx?words=cisco+vpn&localechoice=9&SiteID=2&searchscope=forumscope&ForumID=1742

-steve

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:25 PM
  •  lisa marie g wrote:
    need to have the firewall unblocked for my printer to function through network.  It is through a ethernet connection to my wired router that sends a wireless signal. can you help me

Open OneCare .

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:27 PM