Backup failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new installation of RC1. I have installed the client connector on my gaming PC running 32 bit Vista Ultimate. I have now tried many times to backup my gaming machine and it fails every time, with a couple of messages;

* Backup failed because your machine restarted. It most certainly did not restart and neither did the server. However I have only seen this message twice, both times when starting the backup using remote desktop (connected to the gaming PC). Issue here?

* "The network connection between the computer and the server was lost. No reconnection within the timeout period." Also not true. I ran a ping test continuously and had zero dropped packets for the duration.

The backup seems to get to about 2-3% each time before failing. There is sufficient capacity on the server to store the files.

Server CAB submitted 355877918

Client 355889249

Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:52 PM

All replies

• Same thing here for me.  I've got 2 clients that fail with the same error message.  I also have the issue of couple of other clients getting anywhere to 25-50% backup completed and then it just hangs.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 3:25 AM
  • Further to this, I added my MCE 2005 machine and it fails to backup too. This machine contains only about 9GB of data. The backup runs to about 40+% (I didn't see exactly when it fails) and then aborts with the "Connection between the computer and server was lost" message.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:04 PM
  • Are you backing up over wired or wireless connection?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Wired connection for me.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Wired gigabit network.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I had a similar issue when I first installed RC1 and it was on wired gigabit.  It was a new NIC so I thought that might be the issue.  I swapped back in the 100mbit card and the initial backup completed successfully.  I wrote it off as a fluke and put the gbit card back in the server.  Ever since I continue to get backups that don't complete occasionally.  I'm going to switch back to the 100mbit card for a while and see if I can isolate that as the probably culprit.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Can I get everybody who is having this issue to run TALQ (even if you have before) and post their CAB numbers and I will forward on to our devs?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Server CAB 356363956

Do you want it for the workstations too?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:44 AM
  • from clients...

CAB 356367605

CAB 356369425

CAB 356369509

CAB 356369456

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:23 AM
  • I am going to reinstall my server this weekend and make my biggest disk the primary one. I'll send CABs if it still doesn't work.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Ever since I switched my network connection on the server back to the 100mbit nic I haven't had on backup failure.  I'm going to switch back to the gbit nic and change the system properties to throttle it back to 100mbit. 
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:30 AM
  • Ian,

Our devs have looked at your logs, and determined that it is some type of network card failure. Can you put in a different NIC card and see if your issue repros.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Well that's very interesting as I have exactly the same issue - my PC hangs completely when the back up starts.  It used to work OK but now it doesnt.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software with no change.

But the really interesting thing is that I also have just installed a Gigabit ethernet card in my PC to match the gigabit interface in the box that's running WHS.   I havent had a chance to swap back to 100Mbps but given the Gigbait NIC is working fine with all other activities, I think there may be some kind of bug involving Gigabit ethernet cards.

I'm happy to run any tests or forward any logs if that helps.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:48 AM
  • OK, a bit more info.  I ran talq and the number is 359662972.  The client PC that is hanging runs XP Pro SP2 but is also a dual boot system with Vista as the other OS.  I can backup the Vista OS with no problems on either the 100Mbps or 1Gbps NIC.  On XP Pro SP2 I cant back up at 1Gbps when I'm using the 1Gbps NIC.  Need to see what happens when I move back to the 100Mbps NIC on XP - will advise.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:07 PM
  • David, that makes it sound like a problem with the XP drivers, rather than the card or WHS.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:50 PM
  • In case it helps, I have also been having this same issue for the past 15 days. 

CAB 359821862

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Hi

Well I took the time to reinstall the server, this time placing the largest (500GB) drive as the primary rather than the original 80GB drive. I made no client driver or other changes, and the server is otherwise using the same hardware and software and - importantly - drivers. The problem went away and all of my client machines are now being backed up correctly.

Ian

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Same problem here, backup is failing sometimes, but not always since installation of RC1.  Only on one of two clients is experiencing the problem.  One drive completes successfully, the others do not.  Most of the time no reason for failure is given.  On one instance a reason was given for one of 5 failed drive backups: 

"the computer failed to take a snapshot of the voume for backup.  System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The device is not ready. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070015) at System.Runtime.Interop
    Servies.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRIn"

Network is a wired gigabit 

Ran TALQ on server.  CAB is 359851652

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Maybe so, but the only time it hangs like this is when I run WHS backup on XP, and it happens every time.  Otherwise the PC performs quite well so if it's an issue with XP drivers, maybe it's a compatibility issue with WHS.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Well, I upgraded my network drivers to the latest version, but no luck (this is an HP machine with integrated Intel 10/100 network).

Backup got to 45%, then I received two messages in my event log:

First Message:

Code Snippet

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 773
    Date:  7/28/2007
    Time:  12:02:55 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: FAMILYROOM
    Description:
    Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryWriterEx.Write(Byte[] value, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterData(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Second message:

Code Snippet

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 770
    Date:  7/28/2007
    Time:  12:02:56 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: FAMILYROOM
    Description:
    Backup set 45 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryWriterEx.Write(Byte[] value, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterData(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 length)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass2()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It shows "server connection lost", but just like everyone else, the computer and network connection seem to be otherwise working fine. 

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:18 PM