WHS not deleting backups RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so my WHS tells me that it's critically low on HDD space. I go take a looksy, the backups are taking up 51% of the total storage space available. So I go to my two computers, mark all the old ones for deletion, then go into the settings and perform a backup cleanup. When I come back to check the next day, it appears done, the backups no longer appear under 'View Backups' on the computers, but the backups still are apparently taking up the same amount of space. I have no backups listed at all now, but still its taking up 700gb on of space all together. I have also tried 'backup repair'.
    Where are the backups alll located so I can go in and manually delete them as it seems that WHS fails at doing so?

Also - pretty unrelated: WHS tells me that all of my computers don't have any protection what so ever or that 'theyre not up to date'. They all have Norton 360 Premier v3.0, all up to date. It's annoying as heck, and choosing 'ignore this issue' only works for a day or so.
    I don't think I've ever seen the WHS icon green.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:48 AM

All replies

• Since backups are stored already very efficient (identical clusters are only backed up one time), backing up the same clients even after manually deleting the entire backup database as the hardcore way will not gain you much storage back in the long term. How many client PCs do you have, how much data is stored on each of them?
    The only way to overcome this would be cleaning out unnecessary and unique data on the client PCs, hosting documents on the server shares instead of locally on the client (which takes up space and requires again, to backup the server shares) or to add more storage to your home server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:01 AM