Server 2012 for DBA's class? RRS feed

• Question

• Does MS offer any "Server 2012 for database administrator" classes? Looking for ones that skip, or don't dive deeply into domain services like AD, DNS or DHCP.

I've seen "SQL for System Administrators" classes in the past and was hoping to find the inverse.

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Altough there are several MS courses on Windows Server, none of them are specifically targetted to database administrators. Back in the times when we had the MCDBA certification (on SQL Server 2000), it was necessary to pass an exam on Server Administration, but it was the "standard" exam, it was not "filtered" for DBAs.

Nowadays you can get certified as a DBA without proving yur knowledge about server administration. But it is a good idea for a DBA to be knowledgeable about the server. However, I don't agree with your idea of skipping things like AD or DNS; you will need them for SQL Server. For example, I have seen installations where the clients failed to connect to sql server, and the root cause was found to be a misconfigured DNS server which was supplying an incorrect IP address for the server name written in the connection strings of the client programs.

Even if there is no MS official course that teaches Windows Server for DBAs, you can contact some training centers and ask if they could arrange a custom course for you. Failing this, I recommend that you take a complete Windows Server course. Even if it is not specifically targetted to DBAs, you will still find it very useful.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:35 AM