An interesting home server case RRS feed

• Question

• So who knows where I can actually lay my hands on this case? ChenbroUSA and their resellers aren't answering my emails.

That case plus a mini-ITX MB like the Jetway J7F2 series (add a PCI SATA controller for 4 SATA ports) would make a heck of a WHS, now wouldn't it?
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:31 AM

Answers

• Ken check here,

http://www.ucsutah.com/ucs/product_info.php?products_id=40378

Really a nice case.  I have never heard of these guys so can't say good or bad.

john
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:32 AM

All replies

• Ken check here,

http://www.ucsutah.com/ucs/product_info.php?products_id=40378

Really a nice case.  I have never heard of these guys so can't say good or bad.

john
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:32 AM
  • Thanks, I'll contact them. Though I don't have high hopes; they don't have much "right" about the case...
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Just completed a rebuild using that very board(has 2 SATA and 2 IDE for max 6 drives onboard  + anything you want on the PCI) and new server case(up to 10 HDDs and big quiet fans), Added the gigabit LAN module which had drivers for server 2003 on the CD. Board, LAN and 512 ram cost about £160. Case and PSU about £60. Build and install went without a hitch.

The case in your link looks excellent though- I would probably have bought it, and may yet
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Good find Ken. I contacted Equus Computers and they said that the case will be available around the end of next month. He didn't have firm pricing but he expects it to be around the $250 mark. He didn't think they would carry the case in stock but indicated that they could get one pretty quickly.

The guy I spoke with was Bruce at 612.617.4337. Feel free to call him if you have other questions.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  TxDot wrote:
    Good find Ken. I contacted Equus Computers and they said that the case will be available around the end of next month. He didn't have firm pricing but he expects it to be around the $250 mark. He didn't think they would carry the case in stock but indicated that they could get one pretty quickly.

The guy I spoke with was Bruce at 612.617.4337. Feel free to call him if you have other questions.

Very nice little case!
    That pricetag is too much considering the small number of drives that is possible to install and the mini-atx size of the mainboard.

I still prefer the Antec 900
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  

I am currently using a Silverstone SUGO-03 mATX case.  For what it is, the case is tiny.  It can natively fit 3 HDs.  If you use the lone 5.25" bay, it can fit 4 HDs.  It is designed for two front 120mm so cooling is not an issue.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=sg03&area=

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:49 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    So who knows where I can actually lay my hands on this case? ChenbroUSA and their resellers aren't answering my emails.

That case plus a mini-ITX MB like the Jetway J7F2 series (add a PCI SATA controller for 4 SATA ports) would make a heck of a WHS, now wouldn't it?

Hi,

I still think Ken suggestion a good one, and that company always build a nice cases (well, I sue them for my rackmounts cases).

My best.
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:55 PM
  • I have seriously considered this case but prefer something built specifically for WHS especially with the hot-swap drive bays. Depedning onthe price of the Chenbro case I may have to go with this one.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  abobader wrote:

...(well, I sue them for my rackmounts cases)...

Did you sue them or do you use them? I assume the latter. Funny how switching two letters can change the whole meaning of a word.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry it was "typo" issue, the correct word is "use" Smile

My best.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 9:58 PM
  •  

So has anyone had any luck finding this case ?
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:03 AM
  • The case isn't available yet. When it is, it looks like it'll cost about $240-$250.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Thanks Ken

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Ken,

See attached article from mswhs.com updated yesterday 10/11/2007

Looks like your case might be available soon and pricing is suggested at $236.

Regards,

Andi

http://mswhs.com/2007/10/11/chenbro-es34069-mini-itx-home-server-chassis/

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:50 AM
  • grassrootscomputers.com has this case listed now with a price of $228. It isn't available yet so I've set an alert and will post again when it is available.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:14 PM
  • This case is available in the UK but at about £140, it's expensive.

I saw this case at the UK's 'Storgae Expo' show and spoke extensively with Chenbro staff on their stand. They seemed to be very aware of it's potential usage for WHS. I am badgering them or a sample for a review. TBH, I think it is expensive for what it is. You should be able to buy the new HP EX with 500Gb for £299, so building a WHS with this case and buying OEM WHY will cost £240 - then you need drive, mobo, cpu and ram on top...

I guess we'll see some OEM WHS systems based on this tho.

Cheers

Nigel

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:02 PM