none
Exam #70-646 Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Server Administration RRS feed

• Question

• I am on my way to finishing a networking degree and I would like to take the exam 70-646. My question is has anyone not gotten a job for not having the certification? What was the job and did you then go take the exam?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:00 AM

Answers

• Does you networking degree cover Microsoft Windows Server 2008 as these exams ask questions about this product, not networking in general?

Having a Microsoft certification doesn't guarantee getting a job.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:19 AM
  • As Jeff has said there are no guarantees that a MS Certification will help you in getting a job.  The certifications are there to validate your knowledge and experience earnt in the field not the other way round.

Any employer would be looking at what you're experience can bring to a particular role and not solely on how many certificates you have obtained.  Find yourself a job that will allow you exposure to the subject you're looking to certify in and work from there, not only is it possible, as many people do not take exams but will make your studying a lot easier.

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:02 AM

All replies

• Does you networking degree cover Microsoft Windows Server 2008 as these exams ask questions about this product, not networking in general?

Having a Microsoft certification doesn't guarantee getting a job.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:19 AM
  • As Jeff has said there are no guarantees that a MS Certification will help you in getting a job.  The certifications are there to validate your knowledge and experience earnt in the field not the other way round.

Any employer would be looking at what you're experience can bring to a particular role and not solely on how many certificates you have obtained.  Find yourself a job that will allow you exposure to the subject you're looking to certify in and work from there, not only is it possible, as many people do not take exams but will make your studying a lot easier.

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:02 AM