RAID drivers fail to install RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to reinstall WHS on an Intel S3000AH server board due to a drive failure and the customer had no backup.  The board is configured for LSI RAID and the 2 drives configured for RAID1. I am using Intel's 32 bit Server 2003 RAID driver. After the WHS GUI install prompts for storage drivers because it does not see a drive to install WHS on it displays a message that setup can't continue because the drivers TXTSETUP.OEM file is missing something in the [scsi] section. I have tried every version of drivers from the oldest I can locate to the most current.  I am using the WHS DVD from my MAPS subscription because the customer can't locate their disk and maybe that's part of the problem?

Any help is appreciated.
    John

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue as well. I wanted to test Windows Home Server and downloaded the DVD from MSFT's site. My HW is a Fujitsu Siemens Rack server with a LSI MegaRaid 1068 chip and 2 250 GB HD's. I have tried a few scenarios with Raid 1 set up and on virtual drive and also just one Raid 0 drive as the boot drive.

The driver I am using is the Windows Server 2003 one from LSI site. I have tried both version of it and neither works. The message I get is that no HD is found and then that TXTSETUP.OEM is missing.

As above any tips would be appreciated!

Mikael

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Since RAID isn't a "supported" storage technology (and OEMs are prohibited from using it at all for Windows Home Server) you are sort of on your own as far as solving problems getting RAID drivers to work. The best path is to turn off RAID entirely, so that setup will have access to the individual drives, and let Windows Home Server manage your storage.

In general, to install using RAID for the system drive, you need to inject drivers twice. The first time is during the initial graphical phase of setup, and the best drivers to use here are 32 bit Vista drivers, followed by XP and Windows Server 2003 drivers. This will allow setup to see your RAID array.

Then you will need to supply drivers a second time, just after the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. Press F6 when the "Press F6" prompt comes up (note that timing is tight) and supply drivers on a floppy disk. (You'll find instructions for preparing an F6 floppy in your HBA or motherboard manual.) In this phase, the best drivers are those for Windows Server 2003, followed by XP and Vista.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:00 PM