none
WHS D: drive gone missing RRS feed

• Question

• I need more brainpower than I've got on this one: My homebuilt WHS is missing the D: drive....  The C: drive is intact and the system boots but from within the console it shows the system drive as "Not Added" and if I just browse the files using windows explorer, there is only a C: drive.  If I look at Drive Management, the partition that I would expect to be show up as D: is there and is simply labeled as "Data" and "Healthy".  The system status is Critical and saying that the backup service is not running.

The sequence of events that got me here are:
     - I had 6 drives in the system and wanted to remove one and install a larger one as things were getting full.
     - I removed one drive through the console without issue.  Doing so pushed a fair amount of data onto the system drive (which I normally try to keep fairly clear).
     - I physically unplugged the drive I thought I had just removed and powered the server back up to double check that I was going to physically remove the correct drive.  All was well and the console showed one less drive and everything working normally.
     - For various reasons I wanted to physically move some of the drives around inside the case (but keep them on the same controllers) so I did that and added in the new drive plugged in where the removed one had been
     - When I powered up, I got a connector message saying that the system drive had errors so I immediately shut down to double check cabling.  Everything seemed to be fine but I did realize belatedly that the drive I was adding in was one that had previously been used as a system drive in playing around.  So now I wasn't sure which one the system had really booted off of.
     - So I connected back up the drives the way they were before I started this whole process leaving the new drive entirely out of the equation and the system boots ok but no D: drive.  The drive I removed shows up as removed if plugged in and doesn't show up at all if it's not.  The other issue I have is that when opening the console, I get the error message about an add-in blocking it, the add-in identified is the latest version of the Disk Management tool DiskMgt.dll.  If I say to start the console without it, it will but I really don't have a functional system at this point.

If I look in the HomeServer event log, each time I boot there are two error entries, the first says "No volume contains enough free space to create the client backup database. At least 20GB is required", the second says "Client Backup server failed ad d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\server\service\qsminterface.cpp(333)"

Current free spaces shown in the admin disk management window are:
    C: 11.93 out of 20
    Rest of system drive (should be D:?): 18.81 out of 129.05
    Data drives: 20.85 out of 149.04, 11.18 out of 149.04, 84.17 out of 232.88 and 12.8 out of 149.05

I ran chkdsk on C: with no effect, I was using PP1 and had just run windows update yesterday so should have been good there.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed and if there's a way to recover the D: drive without doing a full restore? 

How can I uninstall the disk management add-in? (believe this is more a symptom of the problem than a cause).  The installed add-in's tab is completely blank when I get into the console

If I do a rebuild, would I retain the data that was pushed onto the missing D: drive when I first uninstalled the drive I was intending to replace? 

Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can offer!

System Specs:
    4x 160GB data drives
    1x 250GB data drive
    1x 160GB system drive
    MSI K9NBPM2-FID MB
    Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.4 GHz processor
    3GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Add-ins:
    Advanced Admin console
    ASoft Auto Exit
    Disk Management
    Lights Out
    Whiist

Friday, February 13, 2009 9:16 PM

Answers

• MYERSM said:

I need more brainpower than I've got on this one: My homebuilt WHS is missing the D: drive....  The C: drive is intact and the system boots but from within the console it shows the system drive as "Not Added" and if I just browse the files using windows explorer, there is only a C: drive.  If I look at Drive Management, the partition that I would expect to be show up as D: is there and is simply labeled as "Data" and "Healthy".  The system status is Critical and saying that the backup service is not running.

- I had 6 drives in the system and wanted to remove one and install a larger one as things were getting full.
     - I removed one drive through the console without issue.  Doing so pushed a fair amount of data onto the system drive (which I normally try to keep fairly clear).
     - I physically unplugged the drive I thought I had just removed and powered the server back up to double check that I was going to physically remove the correct drive.  All was well and the console showed one less drive and everything working normally.
     - For various reasons I wanted to physically move some of the drives around inside the case (but keep them on the same controllers) so I did that and added in the new drive plugged in where the removed one had been
     - When I powered up, I got a connector message saying that the system drive had errors so I immediately shut down to double check cabling.  Everything seemed to be fine but I did realize belatedly that the drive I was adding in was one that had previously been used as a system drive in playing around.  So now I wasn't sure which one the system had really booted off of.
     - So I connected back up the drives the way they were before I started this whole process leaving the new drive entirely out of the equation and the system boots ok but no D: drive.  The drive I removed shows up as removed if plugged in and doesn't show up at all if it's not.  The other issue I have is that when opening the console, I get the error message about an add-in blocking it, the add-in identified is the latest version of the Disk Management tool DiskMgt.dll.  If I say to start the console without it, it will but I really don't have a functional system at this point.

If I look in the HomeServer event log, each time I boot there are two error entries, the first says "No volume contains enough free space to create the client backup database. At least 20GB is required", the second says "Client Backup server failed ad d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\server\service\qsminterface.cpp(333)"

Data drives: 20.85 out of 149.04, 11.18 out of 149.04, 84.17 out of 232.88 and 12.8 out of 149.05

I ran chkdsk on C: with no effect, I was using PP1 and had just run windows update yesterday so should have been good there.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed and if there's a way to recover the D: drive without doing a full restore? 

How can I uninstall the disk management add-in? (believe this is more a symptom of the problem than a cause).  The installed add-in's tab is completely blank when I get into the console

If I do a rebuild, would I retain the data that was pushed onto the missing D: drive when I first uninstalled the drive I was intending to replace? 

System Specs:
    4x 160GB data drives
    1x 250GB data drive
    1x 160GB system drive
    MSI K9NBPM2-FID MB
    3GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Add-ins:
    Advanced Admin console
    ASoft Auto Exit
    Disk Management
    Lights Out
    Whiist

The only supported method is Server Reinstallation.  It will wipe your OS partition, but leave everything else alone.  You should be able to leave the D partition as it is and WHS should work around it.  However, if you are concerned about it, I would recommend you backup your data somewhere else to be on the safe side.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by MYERSM Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:34 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:08 AM

All replies

• MYERSM said:

I need more brainpower than I've got on this one: My homebuilt WHS is missing the D: drive....  The C: drive is intact and the system boots but from within the console it shows the system drive as "Not Added" and if I just browse the files using windows explorer, there is only a C: drive.  If I look at Drive Management, the partition that I would expect to be show up as D: is there and is simply labeled as "Data" and "Healthy".  The system status is Critical and saying that the backup service is not running.

System Specs:
    4x 160GB data drives
    1x 250GB data drive
    1x 160GB system drive
    MSI K9NBPM2-FID MB
    3GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Add-ins:
    Advanced Admin console
    ASoft Auto Exit
    Disk Management
    Lights Out
    Whiist

The only supported method is Server Reinstallation.  It will wipe your OS partition, but leave everything else alone.  You should be able to leave the D partition as it is and WHS should work around it.  However, if you are concerned about it, I would recommend you backup your data somewhere else to be on the safe side.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by MYERSM Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:34 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:08 AM
  • OK, thank you for your response!  When you say "only supported method" does that imply that there might be a more unofficial method as well?  I know that such methods carry more risk and I would need to evaluate those risks before proceeding, but if nothing else, I appreciate learning more about how WHS works.

Along the same line of education, if possible, can you help me understand what you might believe to be the root cause of my problem since my initial goal seemed fairly simple... IE. remove one drive from the pool and replace it with a larger one?  I am certain that as time goes on I will want to do that again and rebuilding the server is certainly not the design point for that operation.  Did I somehow shoot myself in the foot by forgetting that the drive I was trying to add had last been a WHS system drive? (a fact I will remedy with a low level format going forward).

Thank you again for your thoughts and assistance.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:14 PM
  • As a practical matter, server reinstallation is normally a better option than unsupported recovery methods. These methods often involve registry edits to keys that Windows Home Server uses, modifications of files that WHS uses, etc. and carry significant risk that you will reach a point where you will need to perform a server reinstallation anyway, just after some additional delay. Usually you will reach that point because the alternative methods just don't work for you; you aren't experiencing the exact problem that they might fix.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Thank you Ken, understand and I will proceed with a reinstallation.  Any guesses on what I should do differently next time I want to replace a drive to avoid causing the problem and a subsequent reinstallation again?
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:26 PM
  • MYERSM said:

Thank you Ken, understand and I will proceed with a reinstallation.  Any guesses on what I should do differently next time I want to replace a drive to avoid causing the problem and a subsequent reinstallation again?

How did you tell WHS to remove the drive (through the Server Storage tab or through the Disk Management add-in)?
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Hmm, now that's a good question, I may actually have been in the disk management add-in rather than server storage but... I got what appeared to be standard dialog boxes about checking that there was enough room to do it and then actually going through the process of doing it.  Also, after it said it was done, I powered down the server, unplugged the removed drive and booted back up just to make sure I had physically unplugged the correct one and all was well at that point.  The problems started with the first boot after I had subsequently powered down again, physcially moved some of the drives around inside the case (but kept them on the same controllers) and added in the new one (that had been a system drive in previous life).  If the machine somehow chose the drive I just added in to boot off of rather than the current system drive could that somehow have caused the issue do you suppose? 

Thanks,

Mark
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:40 PM
  • MYERSM said:

Hmm, now that's a good question, I may actually have been in the disk management add-in rather than server storage but... I got what appeared to be standard dialog boxes about checking that there was enough room to do it and then actually going through the process of doing it.  Also, after it said it was done, I powered down the server, unplugged the removed drive and booted back up just to make sure I had physically unplugged the correct one and all was well at that point.  The problems started with the first boot after I had subsequently powered down again, physcially moved some of the drives around inside the case (but kept them on the same controllers) and added in the new one (that had been a system drive in previous life).  If the machine somehow chose the drive I just added in to boot off of rather than the current system drive could that somehow have caused the issue do you suppose? 

Thanks,

Mark

No.  If it tried to boot from any other drive other than the correct one, it wouldn't have booted at all. ;)  To be honest, I'm not sure what happened (unless your primary hard drive is failing).  It sounds like you did everything right to me (assuming you used the Server Storage tab to remove the drive).  I would still try a Server Reinstallation (and, just in case you did use the add-in before, I would also recommend you not use the Disk Management add-in to add/remove drives).  Then I would try running chkdsk /r on the D partition (just to make sure the drive is ok).

Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:52 PM
  • All right, I'm going to chalk it up to experience reinstall and pay a little closer attention next time I swap out a drive.

Thank you very much Kariya21 and Ken for your thoughts.  I've followed the forums for quite a while and have always noticed that you both were among the most knowledgeable and helpful posters and I appreciate your time and assistance!

Have a good one,

Mark
    • Marked as answer by MYERSM Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MYERSM Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:33 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:38 PM
  • MYERSM said:

All right, I'm going to chalk it up to experience reinstall and pay a little closer attention next time I swap out a drive.

Thank you very much Kariya21 and Ken for your thoughts.  I've followed the forums for quite a while and have always noticed that you both were among the most knowledgeable and helpful posters and I appreciate your time and assistance!

Have a good one,

Mark

I would still suggest running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server once you're done (just to make sure your drives are functioning properly).
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Good point, will do, just getting started on the rebuild now.

Thanks,

Mark
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:22 PM