possible Vundo virus or something that altered XP code RRS feed

• Question

• I have an unknown virus issues that started with Total Security attempting to take over my system.  I shut that down twice with Mbam.  Yet it keeps returning.  It starts by shutting down windows updates, then it seems to act like a magnet for a whole collection of Vundo virus variants.  I have already tried Vundo Fix and VirtumundoBegone, one failed and the other did not recognize that I had any problem.  I downloaded windowslive in the hope that they could do what Norton 360 was unable to do, protect my computer (I had a bad experience with Norton and have been shopping for new virus protection ever since).  Yet when I sent an e-mail out I was told to do basically stupid stuff that I already knew how to do and attempted.  Accessing my wuaucpl.cpl, services.msc...  I have not heard back from the person since and even got a message from postmaster saying that message had not been delivered and it was going to keep trying. 

Now some tech stuff... 

[deleted log file paste]

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:06 PM

Answers

• Installing antivirus software *after* infection is not a good idea.
    I removed your log file from the post as this forum isn't for help with cleaning infections.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

However, since the infection came in while you were using Norton 360, I recommend contacting Norton. If that's not an option, try the forums at Bleeping Computer for help with removal - that's what they specialize in.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:16 PM

All replies

• Installing antivirus software *after* infection is not a good idea.
    I removed your log file from the post as this forum isn't for help with cleaning infections.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

However, since the infection came in while you were using Norton 360, I recommend contacting Norton. If that's not an option, try the forums at Bleeping Computer for help with removal - that's what they specialize in.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:16 PM
  • I did contact windows live and have not heard back from them in 48 hours after first contact.  If I remember the TOS correctly I cannot use phone support unless I am not using the trial membership.  I already got burnt by Norton and will not pay for another service that cannot protect me. 

Norton tried to charge me extra, saying what I encountered was not covered by their flagship service Norton 360.  I made repeated phone calls and finally found someone that would forward me to someone to help me.  I was then put on hold for 2 hours.  Norton just has to be forgotten about.

I admit I came to Microsoft live after the infection.  Although I thought I had taken care of it with Malwarebytes.   I am using MS products and if a MS service cannot deal with it.  My next system is going to be apple.  I am extremely perturbed at continuing efforts to milk me for money in the decade plus that I have relied on MS software.  What is sad is that I am a gamer and that is why I have stuck with MS, yet that could be in part a significant portion of my problem.

So in short, e-mail support has failed me through MS so far. 
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/516c7d40-db3d-47e5-b8ad-77fbeb2a2ccc#2d31454c-e2af-4e55-8a39-424834571484
    I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

If you don't get an email response from me wthin 24 hours, post back as my email provider is getting more aggressive with the spam filtering.

-steve

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:32 PM