Installing Windows on Friends PC RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering, my fiends pc isnt working. It cant start up normally or in safe mode so I thought i would reinstall my windows xp home on his computer and change the product key to his after installing but before activating. He has a window COA stuck on his pc case but no reload cd from the company.

My worry is will this affect my activation of my windows as i am building a pc just now for my son.

Can you help in clearing this matter up for me.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:45 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but the OEM Product Key affixed to your friend's PC would not be valid with your Retail version Windows XP CD. You need to contact the manufacturer of your friend's PC and order the proper Windows XP recovery or restore CD designed for that particular PC.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Dugzboz,

Look at the COA on the other computer; if it has the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering on the COA, IME the genuine MS XP systembuilder/OEM CD will not match to that COA and will reject the Product Key from that COA.

If the printing on the COA says "OEM Software" then your genuine MS XP systembuilder/OEM CD will work to install XP and acccept the Product Key on the COA, assuming that Product Key is otherwise genuine and not been misused.  If you look on the genuine COA for the (hopefully!) legitimate OEM software you bought, it should also say "OEM Software."

The CD itself only has to match the flavor of XP being installed, because there are no Product Keys on the CD itself, it is simply a "container" for the bits and bytes of the OS.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:43 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but the OEM Product Key affixed to your friend's PC would not be valid with your Retail version Windows XP CD. You need to contact the manufacturer of your friend's PC and order the proper Windows XP recovery or restore CD designed for that particular PC.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:13 PM
  • It is an OEM Version of the software that Im using not the retail, would that make a difference?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:34 PM
  • Dugzboz,

Look at the COA on the other computer; if it has the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering on the COA, IME the genuine MS XP systembuilder/OEM CD will not match to that COA and will reject the Product Key from that COA.

If the printing on the COA says "OEM Software" then your genuine MS XP systembuilder/OEM CD will work to install XP and acccept the Product Key on the COA, assuming that Product Key is otherwise genuine and not been misused.  If you look on the genuine COA for the (hopefully!) legitimate OEM software you bought, it should also say "OEM Software."

The CD itself only has to match the flavor of XP being installed, because there are no Product Keys on the CD itself, it is simply a "container" for the bits and bytes of the OS.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:43 PM