none
PASSWORDS are NOT ENCRYPTED...??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is easy to describe, but I can't quite believe it:

When I use FTP to publish pages with VS Community 2015 I see this dialog -

Apparently, my passwords are available for all to see...

Right now, I publish the pages, and then change my password, but there's gotta be a better way.

Thanks for any help fixing this,

Lothar

Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is easy to describe, but I can't quite believe it:

When I use FTP to publish pages with VS Community 2015 I see this dialog -

Apparently, my passwords are available for all to see...

Right now, I publish the pages, and then change my password, but there's gotta be a better way.

Thanks for any help fixing this,

Lothar

There is nothing to fix. This is how the FTP protocol is defined. Remember, the FTP protocol was defined in the early 1970's, long before the word "hacker" entered the computer science vernacular. This shortcoming has been recognized for decades, and why there are other protocols such as FTPS and SFTP.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I agree with Brian Muth. The account and password in the request body can be seen directly, but only the request is intercepted and then passwords will be available for all. If you still have doubt about it, I recommend you ask question s in the forum: https://forums.iis.net/.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 23, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Hello again, and thanks to both of you...

Is it possible for me to use a protocol more secure than FTP to publish my pages with VS?

If so, how do I do that? As I am doing things now, I click to publish, and VS chooses FTP without encryption.

All the best,

Lothar

Friday, June 23, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Hello again,

Where in VS 2015 Community can I find settings that would allow me to publish pages using FTPS rather than FTP?

Sincere thanks,

Lothar

Sunday, June 25, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Hi Lothar,

You may need to install third party tools which could publish your project using FTP, SFTP (SSH) or FTPS (SSL). Our forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, I recommend you ask question s in the Microsoft forum: https://forums.iis.net/.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Hello Joyce,

I tried these entries in:

Build | Publish Web App | Connection

Publish Method: FTP

Site Path: Public_HTML

User Name: MyUserName

Password: MyPassword

Destination URL: FTPS://MyDomainName.com

When I clicked to validate, a check mark appeared. Next, I published a page and that worked properly without displaying the encryption warning dialog.

Would those settings, with the FTPS in the destination URL, indicate the use of encryption?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Lothar

Monday, June 26, 2017 11:34 PM
  • Hi Lothar,

Thanks for your post.

As is mentioned my Joyce, this forum is about Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

As your issue is related to IIS, please post a new thread in https://forums.iis.net/. for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:43 AM