Running CRM 4.0 inside an iframe - will this work and/or is it wise? RRS feed

• Question

• In one of our applications some functions of CRM are better suited to be hosted by a desktop app inside an iframe. Will this work and/or is it wise? If it worked, it would  mean that other elements of the system are redily available for users to eyeball without the incovenience of switching windows.

I tried a quick test and hosted CRM in an iframe (using classic asp) but nearly all CRM buttons do nothing.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

• Sounds like the ACLs are not passing through to the page through the frame.

I also got this to work, by putting a link to a Share Point site using SSL between the CRM online 4.0. and on premise Share Point with an Iframe on a Share Point form.   It worked fine.

Try referencing the entities via their URLs.

Did you download the SDK?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• What were ther URLs you used in the IFrame and what type of authentication did you use?

Does the user have an account in CRM?

An example of what your are trying to do, is how you can display one entity within a frame of a Share Point page.  But you still need a license for that seat in CRM 4.0 and a account in CRM.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:34 PM
  • From the 'top' i.e. http://crmserver/orgname/loader.aspx.

It's normal AD authentication and the user does have an account in CRM.

Most clicks give me 'Error on Page' and resultant MS Error Reports detail a combination of 'access denied' and 'Object doesn't support this property or method'.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Sounds like the ACLs are not passing through to the page through the frame.

I also got this to work, by putting a link to a Share Point site using SSL between the CRM online 4.0. and on premise Share Point with an Iframe on a Share Point form.   It worked fine.

Try referencing the entities via their URLs.

Did you download the SDK?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:33 PM