Money 2006 small business - insists on 'requires a category' RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason suddenly my MS money 2006 small business edition is insisting on requiring a category for every entry.

It never did this before, and now it wont allow me to enter an item without a category.  I've searched the options and cannot find a place to turn this off.  It was like the program reset itself somehow, because I also noticed that it had reverted to using the Money program for the browser rather than it had been set to use my default browser.

Can anyone help me correct this?

Niki

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:50 PM

Answers

• It was my impression that requiring a category was one of the differences between the Business versions and the other versions.

I would create one of more "Misc" categories, and use those where you don't care to use on of your more selective existing categories. The alternative is to install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset followed by the patch. Deluxe does not do invoicing or some other business stuff, but it can convert your Money file. Deluxe offers the option of leaving the categories blank.

• Marked as answer by johnniki Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:59 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• Not sure about the settings in 2006 H&B, but maybe you have something like Tools>Settings>Category Settings?

There should be a check box for "Require a category for each transaction".  Does un-checking it help?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Thank you Bill, YES I think there should be.  In fact I think I remember there being that option, but I have used so many versions of Money, from way back when they were on 3.5 discs.

Under tools/settings/categories, I get:

Require the correct type of category for each transaction

Enable support for Value Added Tax (VAT)

Use the dual category dropdown control

Then below that says "standard categories" and to show full category list or remove unused categories, checked is "ask me before removing each category.  Below  is a button for investment categories, and that allows merely choosing how to categorieze investments. 

I am at a loss.  I have some duplicate accounts for keeping track of things separately that I do not categorize so they don't end up in the reports twice.  Right now I created a category called "None" just to make the program happy so I could enter items.  I cannot understand what has happened.  hope someone has another thought on this,

Thank you so much for being here :)  I am so disappointed that all the help files that the program used to link to vanished.  I cannot see why they could not have been left on the internet for us to use, or a way to save them on our computer. (clicking Help gives you a 'page removed or doesn't exist" message.

the exact message I get is:  "you haven't categorized this transaction. Money requires a category for each transaction so that it can distinguish business from personal transactions and provide accurate reports".  This pops up in a box entitled "Require a Category".  NEVER ever saw that box before in all these years.

Niki

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:33 PM
  • So there no listing or check box for "Require a category for each transaction"? Maybe someone running H&B will help locate this setting.  

These category preferences are saved in your money file, so I would try opening a backup from before this started happening.  If the program behaves properly then you could re-enter (sigh) any subsequent transactions.  This would resolve the problem if it was caused by some program qlitch or an inadvertent action on your part.

Re the lack of a help system, I am running US Money Plus Sunset and the help function does work.  If you are running a US version you might try downloading Money Plus Sunset H&B using the link in the second "sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Bill Becker

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:52 PM
  • It was my impression that requiring a category was one of the differences between the Business versions and the other versions.

I would create one of more "Misc" categories, and use those where you don't care to use on of your more selective existing categories. The alternative is to install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset followed by the patch. Deluxe does not do invoicing or some other business stuff, but it can convert your Money file. Deluxe offers the option of leaving the categories blank.

• Marked as answer by johnniki Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:59 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Thank you, yes, I have come to the same conclusion.  It is so weird that it just began this behavior.  Now I will start a new thread on my Invoice Designer problem :) 

Niki

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:00 PM