IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just replaced the motherboard in my WHS with a Gigabyte EP35-DS3P because it has 8 SATA ports and 2 IDE ports to allow for future expansion. I replaced the system drive which was fairly old and reused the other 3 500Gb drives. I was given the chance to do reinstall but chose to do a full install as I had copies of everthing on the server.
    My copy of the OEM software is pre SP1 so I had lots of updates to download. I used the WHS Console to select update. IE8 was downloaded and installed(I wrongly asumed it as EI7) and since then IE doesn't work in WHS any longer. I can click on the icon and the hour glass appears for a few seconds and then disappears with no other action. If I chose to uninstall IE8 in Add/Remove programs it tells me that several updates were installed after IE8 that will be impacted on, so I chose not to uninstall at this stage.
    Has anyone else seen this problem?

John Leate
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:17 AM

Answers

• The problem you're seeing may not be unique to your server, but it's not universal. My assumption is that either there is a software conflict of some sort (have you installed anything other than add-ins installed through the Windows Home Server console?) or an update failed to install properly. You should be able to safely remove Internet Explorer 8, which should downgrade you to Internet Explorer 7. Then you could reinstall Internet Explorer 8, followed by applying any other high priority patches (as a rule, you should not install optional patches on Windows Home Server) that are available.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:44 AM

All replies

• The problem you're seeing may not be unique to your server, but it's not universal. My assumption is that either there is a software conflict of some sort (have you installed anything other than add-ins installed through the Windows Home Server console?) or an update failed to install properly. You should be able to safely remove Internet Explorer 8, which should downgrade you to Internet Explorer 7. Then you could reinstall Internet Explorer 8, followed by applying any other high priority patches (as a rule, you should not install optional patches on Windows Home Server) that are available.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Thanks Ken for your reply. Since my last post I got rid of several yellow asterisks out of device manager which required reboots. Since then IE8 works but I really dont want to have to use it yet. I'll leave it for a while and see what others have to say about it.

John Leate
    Friday, May 1, 2009 1:30 AM
  • I'll also note that you shouldn't be using the browser on your server. :)

Friday, May 1, 2009 2:38 PM