none
Can't uninstall Avast from WHS

Question

• I installed the trial version of Avast and it expired.  I tried the remove Add-in, but that didn't work.  Everything that I try fails, mostly for "Access Denied" messages.  I've tried the tool that Avast provides, but it says that I need to reboot WHS in Safe Mode, which is not possible with my headless WHS machine.  I've tried downloading a newer trial version, but the .msi file is not recognized as a new add-in to select.  I've downloaded the .exe version, but it does not install (probably due to the security policies setup by HP on the WHS by default).  Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to remove this install of Avast on my WHS?

Thanks,

Buddy

Saturday, May 02, 2009 2:01 PM

All replies

• For problems with Avast, you will need to work with them to get it uninstalled. I tested the uninstallation scenario shortly after I initially installed it and didn't have any problem at that time, so I don't believe it's a generic problem with your server or Avast.

If nothing else works, using the recovery disk that HP provided is an option. You will want to use it in the Server Recovery mode, rather than the factory reset mode. This is exactly the same as a server reinstallation, so you will need to reinstall any add-ins, recreate users, re-join computers to the server, etc. but your data and backups should be fine.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by onefast500 Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:47 PM
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 3:02 PM
  • I couldn't remove it with there uninstaller as well. I had to manually do it, removing it from the registry. That "in my opinion" is the worst software, that was released. I'm sure there developers didn't decide to make it a permanent install. There are other companies as well to be aware of, with trials. Stardock is one of them. The complete uninstaller comes on the purchased package, but the trials it does not. It uses a combined program based uninstaller with a web-based one. Avast , when available, will give you a step by step procedure email. However it didn't work for me. I'd personally try microsofts uninstaller msi, or use a software explorer for engineers to view the actual install process/location files/folders and remove accordingly, or just manually remove it, with a chance of 1000 orphaned files(they can be cleaned).... I know, it's pain but hey, at least you learn something new everyday.

Good luck on this one, and remember....
    Not all trials from all companies are completed versions. They always change, therefore they are pretty much almost go back to beta in one way or another.

Jaeson
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:40 PM
  • I experienced the same issue, but I eas able to remove Avast from my WHS using the aswclear.exe file. You'll find it here:
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Generally I've been very satisfied with Avast - including the WHS edition
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Your suggestion does not work because the software does run correctly unless you are in Safe Mode.  Look at the instructions on web link you provided.  I tried it and it gave me an error and it did not uninstall anything.  This is the same as "bcljopnes" said in the start of this discussion.  We have a headless computer running the WHS software.  We do not have Safe Mode in the reboot menu and in any case we need all drivers install to be able to access the console of the WHS and excute any program. 

My problem is a somewhat different. 

On October 15, I purchased a renewal license from AVAST for my WHS. When I tried to enter the file in the license update for AVAST the screen was blank and I was unable to type anything on the screen for that Tab. I contacted the Avast support by iYogi and there was nobody familiar with the product. I was told to call four different phone numbers and nothing. I then tried to submit a support ticket and was not able until this month.  They have not answer or acknowleged the ticket.

The software keeps telling me I need to update the license or uninstall the program. I have tried multiple times to uninstall using the Addin Tab, but it fails. Also I have tried to uninstall using the ADD/REMOVE feature of Windows. I am unable to uninstall and I can not get assistance from Avast to update my license which cost me $40.  I was hoping to uninstall and then re-install and use the new license.

Any suggestion will be welcome (other than re-install Windows). Thanks for your asistance in advance.  I am mostly posting this to let other members know that there is not support for this product.  I suggest to stay away from this product.  I am currently dealing with the credit card company to recover the fee I paid; however, I still will have a useless program installed in my computer which can not be removed.

P.S. this product was developed by Avast, supported by iYogi and Element 5 deals with the purchase.  Everybody tells you to talk to some one else.

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Have you tried doing it this way?

1) Download the uninstall utility and save to a shared folder on your WHS.

2) Use remote desktop connection to view your WHS desktop.  

3) In the WHS taskbar, right click on the Avast icon.  Click on "Program Settings"
    4) In the settings window, click on "Troubleshooting"

5) On the Troubleshooting menu, select "Disable Avast self-defense module".  This allows Avast to be uninstalled without using Safe-Mode.

6) Once that's done, you should now be able to run the Avast uninstall utility from whatever folder you saved it to in step 1.

7) When the utility completes, restart the server.
    8) Avast should now be fully uninstalled.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Your suggestion does not work because the software does run correctly unless you are in Safe Mode.  Look at the instructions on web link you provided.  I tried it and it gave me an error and it did not uninstall anything.  This is the same as "bcljopnes" said in the start of this discussion.  We have a headless computer running the WHS software.  We do not have Safe Mode in the reboot menu and in any case we need all drivers install to be able to access the console of the WHS and excute any program. 

My problem is a somewhat different. 

On October 15, I purchased a renewal license from AVAST for my WHS. When I tried to enter the file in the license update for AVAST the screen was blank and I was unable to type anything on the screen for that Tab. I contacted the Avast support by iYogi and there was nobody familiar with the product. I was told to call four different phone numbers and nothing. I then tried to submit a support ticket and was not able until this month.  They have not answer or acknowleged the ticket.

The software keeps telling me I need to update the license or uninstall the program. I have tried multiple times to uninstall using the Addin Tab, but it fails. Also I have tried to uninstall using the ADD/REMOVE feature of Windows. I am unable to uninstall and I can not get assistance from Avast to update my license which cost me $40.  I was hoping to uninstall and then re-install and use the new license.

Any suggestion will be welcome (other than re-install Windows). Thanks for your asistance in advance.  I am mostly posting this to let other members know that there is not support for this product.  I suggest to stay away from this product.  I am currently dealing with the credit card company to recover the fee I paid; however, I still will have a useless program installed in my computer which can not be removed.

P.S. this product was developed by Avast, supported by iYogi and Element 5 deals with the purchase.  Everybody tells you to talk to some one else.

BullDawg
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Tty using the Add/Remove Programs to remove Avast.  I've used this procedure and it works just fine.

<<JJ>>

Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:15 AM
  • He's already tried that.

"Also I have tried to uninstall using the ADD/REMOVE feature of Windows..."

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Tty using the Add/Remove Programs to remove Avast.  I've used this procedure and it works just fine.

<<JJ>>

BullDawg
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:27 AM
  • I was having the same issue and was able to remove it avast successfully.

1) Download the uninstall utility and save to a shared folder on your WHS. You have to unblock the file to be able to execute the program by right clicking.

2) Use remote desktop connection to view your WHS desktop.  

3) In the WHS taskbar, right click on the Avast icon.  Click on "Program Settings"
    4) In the settings window, click on "Troubleshooting"

5) On the Troubleshooting menu, select "Disable Avast self-defense module".  This allows Avast to be uninstalled without using Safe-Mode.

6) Stop the avast protection by right clicking on the task bar

7) Stop the avast services from services panel

8) Ran the uninstall utility

9) Reboot and avast software is gone for the good.

Is there any non paid version that will work with WHS (not interested in avast anymore)?

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Thanks, that worked.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:38 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem as Luis. Purchased a license after the trial period and could not update the license using the WHS Console. What worked for me (without needing to uninstall) was the following:

1) Use remote desktop to sign onto WHS desktop

2) Go to Start menu and open the Avast program from there

3) Go to Help/Registration/Inster Lic. File

4) Specify location of license.dat file

5) Reboot

This worked in contrast to the WHS Console, which resulted in the errors described.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Just wandering if you can help me.

Nothing happens when I right click on the Avast icon.....see below.

After trialling Avast software I was unable to uninstall the add-in. I got a little impatient with it and went to the software/Add-Ins directory and deleted the windows installer package for Avast.  After browsing this forum I realised I have done the wrong thing.  WHS does not seem to have a recycle bin to retrieve the file.  Can anyone email me a copy of the file or point me to a link to obtain it or any other suggestion to fix the problem.

Ultimately I just want to get rid of Avast off WHS.

Friday, April 01, 2011 6:25 AM
  • I have just uninstalled avast.

There is no entry in the consol add-ins panel so i had to use windows own control panel, when I selected uninstall a message came up saying that others (me) were logged in and if i continued uninstall may fail.

So I exited the home server consol and uninstallation worked fine

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Actually all is not fine.

I went into services and found several Avast services still running. I have disabled them but I cannot find any uninstaller that will get rid of Avast. There is a tool on the avast website that cleans up avast (in case of problems), the only problem is that you must run it in safe mode - my server is headless (HP media smart) so I cannot go into safemode.

Is there another way to get rid of this rubbish?

Monday, October 03, 2011 7:13 PM
  • A slight tweak for me.   I had been using Avast but after they stopped support, I also needed to remove it completely.     The following worked for me, which is a slight modification from gabaugabu:

1. Save the uninstall utility from http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html to a shared folder on my WHS.  I used my SOFTWARE shared folder
    2. Use remote desktop connection to view your WHS desktop. 
    3. Move or copy  the file from the WHS shared folder to the WHS desktop.  For some reason, it didn't want to work from the shared folder
    4. You have to unblock the file to be able to execute the program by right clicking.
    5. In the WHS taskbar, right click on the Avast icon.  Click on "Program Settings"
    6. In the settings window, click on "Troubleshooting"
    7. On the Troubleshooting menu, select "Disable Avast self-defense module".  This allows Avast to be uninstalled without using Safe-Mode.
    8. Stop the avast protection by right clicking on the task bar
    9. Stop the avast services from services panel
    10. Ran the uninstall utility TWICE:
    11. First ran it by selecting AVAST 4 Home Server Edition
    12. Second ran it by selecting AVAST Windows Home Server Edition
    13. Look under the services and staop any remaining AVAST services
    14. Reboot manually and AVAST software is gone for the good.

Me

• Edited by Megsfolks Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Boy I struggled with this one two.  Thank you all for the postings here.  Megsfolks procedure worked correctly for me, except I had to further go into the "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\" folder and remove the AVAST folder there to remove the icon from the Home Server Console.

As some additional information, now that no commercial manufacturer supports anti-virus software for WHS, I have since found Clam AV for Windows Home Server here:

whsclam.com

It make the open source Clam AV operate on the Windows Home Server.  I installed it and it seems to work pretty well.  Funny, when it scanned AVAST, it identified one of the .exe files as a Trojan.

I am not sure the Clam AV for WHS quarantines viruses automatically, but it scans your server and you can remove identified files yourself. 

Best solution I have found so far.  If anyone else has experience with this, please chime in.  I though it good enough that I contributed $20 to the author.

Derek

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:16 AM