none
Should I use Microsoft Security Essentials when I have Norton? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have just validated my Windows software following some issues and have now been offered the above. I have Norton already. Is there a benefit to installing this complimentary Microsoft package or should I just stick with Norton until it expires and then go for the freebie?

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have just validated my Windows software following some issues and have now been offered the above. I have Norton already. Is there a benefit to installing this complimentary Microsoft package or should I just stick with Norton until it expires and then go for the freebie?

The reason the web page offered you Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is because your Windows had just been Validated as Genuine and one of the side benefits of of using Genuine Windows is access to MSE (MSE won't run on a Non-Genuine copy of Windows).

The page isn't saying you should install MSE, only that you have the option to, if you so wish.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:12 PM

All replies

• "Affluenzic" wrote in message news:517e13f3-7b14-40aa-a700-c8e57f6d07ba...

Hello,

Personal opinion:- get rid of Norton as soon as you possibly can!
    When you do so you MUST first use the uninstaller in either Norton itself, or the Programs folder, and then use the Norton Removal tool - http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US
    Once the system is clear of all Norton dross, you can install a decent Anti-Virus program :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Only use ONE anti-virus program.  You may use several anti-spyware programs if you wish.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Any reccomendations on a decent package Noel?

Can't bring myself to bin it this year as have just paid up front for 365 days but will bear it in mind.

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:44 PM
  • "Affluenzic" wrote in message news:81cf524b-1da2-402b-bab8-1a524b8ccf6b...

Any reccomendations on a decent package Noel?

Can't bring myself to bin it this year as have just paid up front for 365 days but will bear it in mind.

Anything except McAfee :)
    Seriously, though, here are my thoughts on AV and Security Suites in general.
    1) NEVER buy a Suite unless you have to - you will inevitably find something in a suite that either doesn't work well, or doesn't suit the way you work - and there are many free tools out there that will do just as good a job for a lot less money (but marginally more thought)
    2) AVOID Norton and McAfee like the plagues they are - although the corporate offerings are good, the Retail ones are terrible.
    3) You almost certainly do NOT need a 3rd-party firewall - the Windows Firewall has been good enough for 99% of users ever since XP SP2 - and is now good enough for 99.9% of users. It's only if you have special requirements of some kind that a 3rd-party firewall may be required.
    4) In terms of AV alone.....
    I used to like AVG, both as free and paid-for AV - but it's now got bloated and slow.
    Avast I again used to like - but it caused problems with my Vista installation, and is causing havoc in Vista (see the Vista WGA forum here) currently.
    AntiVir has a good rep as a freebie - I didn't much like the interface, though.
    I currently use MSE, myself, and recommend it to all my clients. It's possibly not the 'best' AV - but it's certainly one of the best freebies.
    In terms of paid-for AV,s the field is a lot wider and more complex, and it boils down mostly to personal preference, and how configurable do you need/want it to be. The top-runners (in no particular order, and I will inevitably forget one or two)  are eSET Kaspersky, Avast, NOD32, F-Secure

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hello,

The reason the web page offered you Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is because your Windows had just been Validated as Genuine and one of the side benefits of of using Genuine Windows is access to MSE (MSE won't run on a Non-Genuine copy of Windows).

The page isn't saying you should install MSE, only that you have the option to, if you so wish.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Thank you all. Understood.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:17 AM