Very unhappy with Microsoft ! Error 0xC004D301 with Autoroute 2010 on XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using Autoroute 2010 on an WinXP machine up to date for a few months without any issue.

Suddenly last week, Autoroute stopped running:

Error

"A licensing initialisation error has occured. Please contact customer support for more assistance. Error 0xC004D301"

I have tried a lot of things:

- Removing Autoroute / Re-installing it

- Creating a new user account, and installing the software into the newly created user account

- Applying a patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960480

None of those solutions worked.

I have even tried to install the latest version of Autoroute (2011) ... same error message.

I am stuck with Autoroute and cannot do anything.

So I decided to call Microsoft Support (UK Office) - suggestion solution if nothing else work.

Because my computer is onto a domain, I have been asked £ 200 in order to open the incident !

I still cannot believe this. We have an official paid licensed version of Autoroute 2010, we have paid for Windows Server running the domain, as well as Windows X on the client machine ... and now, to get a fix for an issue which probably comes from a bug with Autoroute itself or Microsoft Updates, we are asked to paid £ 200 for a software which cost £ 34 ex VAT !

This is ridiculus.

I have read on various posts and forums that this is a known issue, and Microsoft has a fix for it ... apparently not freely distributed.

Many people are unhappy about this situation, and are simply stuck with a non-working paid Autoroute application.

Here are a few links for similar situations:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/trying-to-use-streets-trips-2010-receive/e0356bce-9b58-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/3768-error-0xc004d301-microsoft-streets-trips

If somone at Microsft reads this, please react quick as I don't think this is fair with your customers !

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Geatan,

Did a person on the phone told you you would have to pay? Or was it a pre-recorded message announcing you *may* be asked to pay. If it was just a recording, ignore it, and wait for a live person to answer your call. These issues should be covered by the fee you paid to purchase the product.

Here's a 7 page long discussion of this issue, and I believe this has been mentioned there, too (perhaps even by a Microsoft rep).

Laptop GPS World

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:14 PM
  • It was not a recorded message.

I had to say how unhappy I was to the technician asking for money before going further.

I told the Microsoft technician that this was not acceptable ....

At the end, I received a call today from another Microsoft technical. Microsoft provided me with this famous patch which repairs the license database in Windows registry (called ResetTools).

The problem is now solved - license db is repaired.

The only shame is that this patch has an xpiry date - which means it cannot be re-used if the issue occures again on another computer on the network.

Thanks to Microsoft despite the fact I had to push hard to get it resolved.

Regards

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:00 PM