Question of infrastructure and backup:
    Take a sub with 3 sites, to be autonomous, therefore:
    At each site:
    1 OCS 2007 R2
    1 DC
    1 AD
    1 Mediation
    1 Gateway

Sites communicate with each other through a WAN link operator, and of course external through the gateway

If my WAN link drops, I am able to redirect my internal calls via the gateway?

Thank you for your feedback and opinion on the issue
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:29 AM

All replies

• To clarify, do you mean:

a) 1 AD = a single AD domain in the AD forest for your entire organization covering all physical sites?

b) 1 Gateway = Media Gateway to connect to OCS Mediation Server to enable VoIP, or gateway/router for site-to-site connectivity via the WAN?

Depending on design requirements such as the number of users, current IP/PBX/PSTN setup, etc. you could route all voice calls to your central office that handle PBX calls. Alternatively, you can configure OCS to handle them at each location (by itself or integrate with the branch PBX via SIP trunking for example).

Also, make sure that you have at least a GC per location and choose to store OCS Global Settings in the Configuration Partition (default in R2).

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

http://www.leedesmond.com
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:34 AM
  • a) 1 AD = DC but all sites are in the same domain

b) 1 gateway = Mediation for gateway with VoIP, another router manage the WAN link

But the gateway is directly connected to the network operator, no other IPBX / PABX on sites

In normal mode, OCS send the internal call via the WAN directly to the other OCS server

If the WAN link drops, I know route automatically internal calls via gateway?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:43 PM
  • for simulate the architecture, I have try this :

In one site, I have 1 OCS R1 server and 1 OCS R2 server :

I choose a number (xxx) that it's available outside of the entreprise, call on this work

1 have 1 user (A) on OCSr1 server and another (B) on the OCSr2 server
    I define xxx on the user A

In normal mode, if the user B call xxx, it's work and routing to A

For simulate WAN failure, i'm stop all service on OCSr1 server :
    If user B call xxx : error, the call is not routing outside automatically

What i need make for make working ? if it's possible ...

Thanks
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:17 PM
  • No any solution on this subject ?

thanks
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:27 AM
  • If you place a Voice call to a phone number which belongs to an internal OCS user the call will not be routed out a mediation server to the media gateway, as you have seen.  I don't believe there is anyway to layer the routing for redundancy as if you attempt to setup the voice routes and normalization to send 'internal' calls out to a PBX, then that route would always be chosen (and also be inefficient).
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:06 PM