HELP... upgrade assistance required. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I upgrades all three storage drives, (on my HP EX470) to WD 1TB Green drives and all has gone well.

I encountered a strange issue last night that everytime I was sending through over 100Gb data to server my PC says it has lost connection and I find that the server kept on shutting down.
    Booted the server back up and its fine, happened several time and my guess is that looking at the storage information, my primary drive is full, well almost and my guess is that the HP server was shutting down for that reason. No errors in the server once I booted up, no errors reported on the logs either.

I've uploaded a quick snapshot of what I see right now on my server from a storage point of view:

storage drive snapshot

Would it be safe for me to upgrade the main system drive without loosing any data? My worry was that if you look at the storage drives, they dont all seem to be full balanced or am I incorrect? My last storage drives in the unit had a perfect balance and the system drive was only about 20% used / full.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Neil,
    since you still have plenty of free disk space, there is no need to upgrade your system disk.
    Besides that I would also try to relocate the data as described, so that the system disk is free from data.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Neil Parmar Monday, January 5, 2009 7:56 AM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• Neil,

balancing is not the same as equally distributed. WHS always fills one disk first. So your screen shot doesn't indicate an error.

Please use Remote Desktop to log into your WHS and check the event log for error related to your shutdown.
    Click Start->Control panel->Administrative Tools->Event viewer.
    Check both system and application events.

Regards
    Martin

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hi Neil,
    which version is shown in the console of your Windows Home Server? If it has at least Power Pack 1 installed, the full primary disk should not matter, since write requests are redirected to the storage media. If the November Updated KB957825 is not installed on the server, Vista should simply reject writing files, which are larger than the free space on the D: drive.
    Unfortunately data, which is currently located on the D: drive, is not migrated automatically. (I assume the data got there during the process of removing the old drives.)
    There was a tool, which was working only before the installation of that November update and could be used to trigger a relocation of data from the D: volume on the server: LZreallocator. If you wish to use that, you would have to uninstall the mentioned update locally on the server (login via Remote Desktop) through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs with Show Updates enabled.
    Reboot the server, run the tool, install the November update again.

While being logged in via Remote Desktop check also the Event log on your server to see, if your assumption that the server has gone down unexpected is true.
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Hi guys,

thanks for the speedy replies. Checked the event logs and all seems to be fine. I am using PP1 too, so this was a strange one.

From your experience, should I upgrade the main O/S (drive 0) hard disk to lets say a 1TB drive or just leave the system as it is?

Thanks again.

Neil.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Hi Neil,
    since you still have plenty of free disk space, there is no need to upgrade your system disk.
    Besides that I would also try to relocate the data as described, so that the system disk is free from data.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Neil Parmar Monday, January 5, 2009 7:56 AM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:42 PM