Product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i just purchased a upgrade for my computer and its saying that my product key is invalid. I need some help
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:07 PM

Answers

• "Jarrica" wrote in message news:51819d17-0499-416f-8504-5f7a7491d08b...
    Hi i just purchased a upgrade for my computer and its saying that my product key is invalid. I need some help

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

You say you did an upgrade - did you boot from the DVD, or start the upgrade from within Windows?

What was your original Operating system?

Did you do a Custom install, or an Upgrade install?

Did you reformat the disk?

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 8, 2010 10:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• "Jarrica" wrote in message news:51819d17-0499-416f-8504-5f7a7491d08b...
    Hi i just purchased a upgrade for my computer and its saying that my product key is invalid. I need some help

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

You say you did an upgrade - did you boot from the DVD, or start the upgrade from within Windows?

What was your original Operating system?

Did you do a Custom install, or an Upgrade install?

Did you reformat the disk?

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 8, 2010 10:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi Jarrica,

You must be sure that the upgrade is compatible with the oeprating system you are upgrading from. You must install the upgrade from within the operating system being upgraded from itself. Ex: If you are runnign Windows Vista and are upgrading to Windows 7 (also, in that case, post it in the Windows 7 WGA forum instead) then you will have to start the installation from Vista.

If the above criteria is all met, then the copy of Windows Vista you purchased is probably a conterfeit copy. You may want to contact the seller and ask for a refund. Also, you can can 1-800-RULEGIT to report possible piracy.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:23 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, November 8, 2010 10:24 PM